Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Can someone tell me how many catalytic converters does a w203 have?

I drive a 2001 C180 (non kompressor).

Also, if i remove the catalytic converter(s), will this cause the CEL to come on?

I live in a country that does not require (by law) to have a catalytic converter on a vehicle.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
This is only a guess but it might mess up your O2 reading (sensor is positioned after the cat)- also wouldn't think it would be worth the trouble?

We'll be keeping the air clean for you anyway!!!!

Oberoi

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Oberoi.

To have it replaced costs about R13,000 about 1,541.58 USD.

The mileage on my car is currently 296000kms :eek: (183925miles)

The catalytic converter is blocked. On start up you can hear it. I have to get it removed.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Fair enough, you can easily see the number of cats if you peer underneath - the attached pics are from my SLK to give you an idea (2 cats on the early models) -it should be similar

Oberoi

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
if u striaght piping both the cats ur gunna need someone with a laptop or good scanner to reset the values so u dont have the car running rich (higher gas consumption) 100 % of the time...

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The up-stream O2 sensors monitor your fuel, the down-stream O2 sensors monitor how the cats are working. By removing the cats, the computer will throw a light because the cats are no longer doing their job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if u striaght piping both the cats ur gunna need someone with a laptop or good scanner to reset the values so u dont have the car running rich (higher gas consumption) 100 % of the time...
Forgive me for my ignorance sammy.. what values are you referring to?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The up-stream O2 sensors monitor your fuel, the down-stream O2 sensors monitor how the cats are working. By removing the cats, the computer will throw a light because the cats are no longer doing their job.
Thanks whosdis!

I'm assuming that the CEL will continuously come on because there will be no cats there..

So my next question will be..

How do i fool the ECU into thinking that the cats are still there??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay... so i had the cats removed. The car is sounding a bit louder.. not alot though. Didn't notice any increase in performance.

A cat blocker was used to 'fool' the ecu into thinking that the cat is still there.

Car is going good no CEL lights came on.. as yet :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts