Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Always Remembered, RIP
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this exists for the older SLK, but is there a market, do you think, for a system like this for the 171 class?

It allows top up and down with one touch from keyfob remote, and also while driving forward or reverse up to 30mph.

It's a small unit, and is 10-15 minute install, basically almost no tools. Much easier install than Bipes unit (which is great device, no harm intended, just comparison) according to someone that has done both.

Tentative pricing is $599. They wanted $799, but I told them I thought that was pretty steep. Also making unit for SL, but that'll be priced a bit higher.

Would anyone be interested? "Black box" looks like small deck of cards, plugs into CAN-BUS port. Email me if you are seriously interested at brucem105_AT_comcast.net.

The unit exsits today, not just on a drawing board. I have a shot at bringing in a few if I can solicit enough orders.

Bruce

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
Would that be something like this?

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1259156&posts=9&fid=27

only more expensive..

·
Always Remembered, RIP
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It certainly does appear that way! I guess maybe this guy did his own and is not aware of others or their pricing......thanks for link!

Bruce

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
Maybe he's just considering importing some of these and making a small profit?

·
Registered
04 SL500; 06 SLK350
249 Posts
I was somewhat pleased when ordering the Premium Package to find that it included remote top operation. However, based on the experience with my '04 SL 500, I doubt that I would have paid much for it as a stand-alone option. As for driving down the road at 30 m.p.h. with the world's largest airbrake deployed (i.e., the rear decklid), I don't know how good that might be for the top mechanism's longevity (not to mention the huge blind spot created by the decklid). The only good feature would be the one-touch top operation, but I'd only do it when stopped.[8D]Dinoman

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
831 Posts
Dinoman,

I agree with your post, especially regarding the "air brake." I would like to have the module and I WOULD operate it while moving in this circumstance. As it is, I sometimes find myself at a light wondering if I have 22 seconds left to raise/lower the top before the light turns green. With this module, I won't have to sweat the light, and simply engage the top almost anytime.

·
Registered
2008 SLK55 AMG
837 Posts
I'm interested but worried about voiding the manufacturer's warranty. Does this have the same feature as the aftermarket RF module in Germany, where one can turn the device "off" and be invisible to the dealer when bringing the car for service?

·
Registered
55 //AMG, Fireblade
327 Posts
The two Devices mentioned so far have included some consideration for being undetectable while service is being performed.. We don't really have much info at the moment though as nobody in the forum has reported on a working install.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts