Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I assumed this would be an easy task and that I can buy a cheap remote starter/alarm combo unit and send it to a shop to install it for cheap, but it looks like that isn't the case.

Most shops simply refuse the work as soon as I say it's a benz. They mentioned having to bypass or get some kind of vacuum device in order for the remote start to work.

Has anyone ever installed this easily? Seems to me like it should just be a few wires spliced and connected like an ordinary car.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
'73 450SL, '83 300CD, '01 E320 4matic
2,446 Posts
I recently installed a remote starter in my 300SE (126 body). It should be similar if not the same. I did the work myself. It's not overly difficult, but there are some tricky 'Benz only' things you run into.

Examples would be a couple of relays required to trick the locks if you choose to have the keyless entry feature enabled (most remote starts have it built in).

Also the parking lights are tricky, and require large diodes or another pair of relays if you wish to have them hooked up to the remote start (also common).

Finally, you'll have to make sure you have a remote starter with a provision for disabling your factory anti theft system.

A 300E is a gas car, so nothing really special in terms of hooking everything else up.

Diesels can be done- the mechanical vacuum shutoff can be replaced with an electronic switchover valve (like the climate control system uses) and then it hooks up like any other.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Correct, it's a gas 300E.

So you're saying that mine does not need the vacuum valve thing?

akimball: do you have any instructions for how to wire it up? what are some of the benz-only things for the 300e?

·
Registered
1995 Mercedes E320 (W124, M104)
190 Posts
Dj, I' am trying to to the same thing on my 1995 E320 ( W124 body ) and was wondering if you have accomplished this ?

Vlad,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts