Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who is a manger at jo-di the audio place, he says he can give me keyless entry, but he is not sure about remote start.

I think this is normal but want confirmation, the car always starts, but when it's cold i have to turn the glow plugs twice (it started fine when it was 11 out!)

i would assume that is completely normal?

also anyone else have remote start or keyless entry installed?

·
Premium Member
1967 250 SL, 1965 300SE lang
3,059 Posts
Keyless entry should be trivial. If you look for it, you can find a kit that includes a flip-out key fob (like VW/Audi) with a Mercedes key blank. I would that that the remote start might be not the best idea. Remote start systems assume modern fuel injection which require nothing to be done with throttle, and more importantly, nothing to be done with waiting for glow plugs. But if you want more clever mods, consider a homelink mirror (someone is making them for W123 cars), additional power outlets, and outside temperature (from a w124 mercedes) integrated into your instrument cluster.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
he is going to do it, and that isn't the problem guys.

the problem is he is concerned that since i have to turn the glow plug key twice.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
he is going to do it, and that isn't the problem guys.

the problem is he is concerned that since i have to turn the glow plug key twice.
Fix the pre-glow system first (glow plugs, relay, wiring, etc), check the valve adjustment and check the starter and battery health to ensure that if the remote start is installed, the systems the remote start module rely on WILL make the remote start work properly.

Otherwise, remote start is useless if the ignition and pre-glow system are not functioning properly.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
but my question is, is that unusual for a car when it is 11 degrees out? no block heater?
First of all, please complete your profile. Are we talking about the '85 European 300D in the other thread?

11 degrees Celsius or Fahrenheit?

Are you assuming that all systems are working properly? It all boils down to the health of your engine, pre-glow and ignition systems.

·
Registered
95 S280, 95 C280, 94 C280, 95 E320 conv & wagon, 94 E420, 93 300D, 88 300SEL, 85 300TD, 83 500SEL
206 Posts
I don't know about Mercedes but I was looking at the owners manual of my '92 Chevy diesel truck and it says the block heater is not needed down to 0F even with 15W-40.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts