Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my car without the remote roof control option and am now thinking I would like to have this.

It is too late to change my spec, so the questions is can it be added afterwards and if so how much would it cost?

I see R171.info sells one but does not make it clear that it is available for cars that have not been set up for the remote roof option - besides which I am not sure they would ever deliver judging by other posts on this board.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
Slk-Gill - 3/28/2005 11:59 AM
...I see R171.info sells one...I am not sure they would ever deliver judging by other posts on this board...QUOTE]
It is vapor ware so they can NOT deliver it. However they will not mind selling and charging you for one.

·
Registered
R171
215 Posts
If you cannot change your order, I would not be too upset. Being delighted with my car, the remote roof option is without doubt the most disappointing feature, mainly because it has a range of approx one foot from the door handle. Go any further away and the operation stops. My wish to open/close the roof from the house has never materialised! Don't know if you can have it retro fitted.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
owen - 3/28/2005 1:01 PM

...I would not be too upset...mainly because it has a range of approx one foot from the door handle. Go any further away and the operation stops. My wish to open/close the roof from the house has never materialised!...
I know that British gallons are little larger than US gallons but a British foot most be substantially longer. [:D][:D] Mine will work to about 15' but of course it is line of sight inferred (like a TV remote) and you must hold the button down forever. This is not very practical except for showing off to your friends. So unless the R171 roof module ever materializes (fat chance) to use RF operation I would not worry about it

·
Registered
SLK 2OO K
19 Posts
IT COST 150,00 EURO IN GREECE BUT IT IS THE LAST THING THAT YOU WANT TO SPENT YOUR MONEY AT.
COMPLETELY USLESS.!!!

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses all, I will have to let it go then, until a realistic post delivery option turns up - assuming I still think I want one by then.

Truth be told I really wanted it to see how it all worked whilst outside the car. I guess I could get the wife / kids to operate it instead - a much cheaper option [:)]

·
Registered
R171
215 Posts
I am at least happy the option was so inexpensive [£50?] because it certainly fails to impress. On the few occcasions I have used it [yes to show off the roof to friends] as soon as you lose that direct line of sight, the operation stops and a loud beep follows. It then seems to take ages to restart the operation. A word of warning. I saw another slk at the dealers with a mangled roof where the owner had started the opening/closing operation with the remote, the system halted, so the owner finished off with the regular roof button and the sequence got muddled. This meant that the car had to be brought in with the trunk half open and the parcel shelf stuck erect. The dealers had to reprogramme the roof and put the panels back into the regular positions. Since then, I have rarely used the remote and then with a very short range. Its a good job the rest of the car has been so much better than this duff feature.

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
I'm still waiting for mine from r171.co.uk - sniff! on my R170, I had one from Mr Bipes (supplied through formy mercedes.com) - easy to fit, and it did what it said on the tin!! - opened the roof by radio from a long long long way away. The optional R171 remote is a total waste of time. - Quicker to sit in the car and hold the button back, than try & maintain 'line of sight' contact with the IR sensors in the door handles.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Is this just me?
My roof only goes down if the engine is on, so often I get somewhere, park turn off and think "gotta shut the roof", and rather than start the car again get out and hold the remote. It does seem odd the engine has to be on for the in car button to work, so I am using my key a lot to close the roof.
So the question is, should the roof work from the car with the engine off?

·
Registered
SLK 200K
144 Posts
joyfulheart - 3/30/2005 10:35 AM
So the question is, should the roof work from the car with the engine off?
joyfulheart,

Yes, but the ignition key has to be in position "2". That is, just past the horizontal, when there's half a dozen or more indicators lit up in the display, and turning the key any further will start the engine.

Cheers,
....Julian

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
25 Posts
Totally agree with everyone. If you have brought the remote roof function its only good to show your mates, thats about it!! The range is terrible and stops every few seconds if you move or someone walks in front of it. They should have done it so you just have to press the button for a few seconds, not hold it down for the few operation of the roof!! its bad enough getting playstaion thumb... But SLK thumb???? No thanks!!!

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
OK, my time to chime in...I actually like the remote roof function; I tolerate the range issue (being a safety professional in the litigous states, I understand the thinking), but maybe even more advantageous, in hotter climates, it is nice to be able to lower the roof on a hot day without getting into a stuffy car...[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Maybe it's best use is to show off the roof function to friends. That's good enough for me. Perhaps after everyone I know has seen the roof operate, I'll be less fond of the function but for now it's a blast.

·
Registered
SLK350
175 Posts
I haven't specced my car yet but was going to include this function. Howeever after reading the this thread, I might give it a miss! Why didn't they make it a one press operation and use the aerial as the receiver?

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Andy747 - 4/3/2005 1:25 PM

I haven't specced my car yet but was going to include this function. Howeever after reading the this thread, I might give it a miss! Why didn't they make it a one press operation and use the aerial as the receiver?
Yeah I was like you, was gonna go for it - but having read about how much of a hassle it is. I decided not to bother with it and opted for Automatic Wipers instead - which seem a more sensible for the Lake District!!! [;)]

Mind you, my dealer was really pushing for the remote roof - even hinting it would add to the resale value!?!?!? [:0] Can't see it adding that much to the resale value?? [}:)]

·
Registered
SLK 350 Diamond blue
102 Posts
This is really weird. I have seen the remote demonstrated at my dealer where he had the keys in his hand and opened it from about 10-15 ft away. No ignition key in - nothing.
I also saw another owner having to hold it against the door handle to get it to work.
Both were in Sydney.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
Its £90, hardly a "key" item.
When I want to put the roof up I have a choice.
Sit in the car for 22 secs holding a button or stand outside holding a button. Its good to have a choice cos sometimes, like this weekend, it was nice to get out and admire the view outside the car while the roof closed. I dont think its a waste, it would be absolutely brilliant as a remote from the range the lock/unlock works of course.
But I also agree with Motzkomans comments about opening up a hot car, and thats a big problem for us here in London.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts