Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1998 C 230 sedan
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I want to buy an extra remote key and dont really want to pay $250 for a new one from the dealership.

I saw some Smart key remotes selling on ebay for cheap. How do these program to your car??????

Many people have bought these keys off ebay and they somehow are making them work on their cars!!!!!

I contacted the dealership and they told me that these keys cannot be programmed to my car and that there are only 2 places in the world that cut keys for a mercedes???

Does anyone know if this is true.

Thanks

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
Someone in the past mentioned that if you press the button on the remote (any button), then within 30 seconds, start your car then that's it (the car thinks the remote must belong to the car then) ... This makes sense somehow but I am not sure if it works.

That was for the remote only, for the key itself, I guess only mercedes can cut it.

I have been looking for the extra keys as well .... [:)] , let me know if you find better answers

·
Registered
chris
1,790 Posts
you put your master key in first then switch on then very quickly remove it and put the other key in and switch on that programs the key "you only have 20 seconds to do it" so be quick

·
Registered
26 Posts
You cannot reporgram keys.. for one thing every key is programmed with a rolling code.. which is coded according to your vin number.. and this can only be done in Hamburg Germany... I have a lot of Smart keys in my tool box.. its not like I can walk up to any mercedes and start it.. haha but it would be cool if I could.. The Electronic Ignition Switch... must match the logorithmic rolling code with the Key in order to turn the ignition.. as far as the blade key.. well it is laser cut so its pretty difficult to copy it.. so dont be fooled in ebay

·
Registered
300 TE 4MATIC
44 Posts
Other places than Germany have also this specific programmer, (within DC organisation of course).

But we still don't know for what model you're talking about and what kind of key then you have. Is it FBS2, FBS2b, FBS3 ?

As Benztech wrote, the additional key need to be programmed according your VIN from GLC (Global Logistic Center) then placed in the correct row memory as extra key by a dealership which will need to use the Stardiagnose, then the additionnal key will be reconized by the EIS / EZS control unit.

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
Thanks Teky ... helpful information ... I guess I have no luck with my SL500 (1999') then [:(]

·
Registered
chris
1,790 Posts
sorry mate nothing listed on the data for your car it seems a dealer job but no harm trying the above data[:)]its worked on a few cars for me

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
funny that I did try all (in your list) without even knowing it before I got your reply. nothing worked then.

·
Registered
chris
1,790 Posts
pity that mate i have the latest autodata disk 2004 which is where that came from but the data you need has been carefully left out but never mind ill keep looking[:)]

·
Registered
98 E320 4matic Wagon
5 Posts
I have a 1998, E320 wagon.

Only one key and I want to program a blank to have a spare key. The dealer told me that the key was useless and needed to be thrown out. (Hyatt Mercedes in Calgary). Replacement cost $250.

Merchants on ebay who sell blank keys seem to contradict the dealer's claim. They say dealers can synchronize or program my blank key and I should not take no for an answer. Well... I got a clear NO from the dealer.

Who is lying?

I read no negative ebay comments regarding false claims by merchants so I imagine other customers are happy with their decision to buy blanks.

Can anyone help me?

If not, let's find software to do this ourselves.

·
Registered
chris
1,790 Posts
the stealer can re-program a used key if they really want to but as we all know its cash in the back pocket[?]

·
Registered
84 Posts
sorry guys, but im gonna level with you. you CANNOT
reprogram a smart key. your key is matched to only your vin number, and cannot be changed. the key contains a type of rom (or read only memory. one the specifics have been entered into the key, they cannot be changed. its so specific, that you need to tell a dealer when you order a key whether its a replacement for a lost key, or a addtional key. the EIS (or electronc ignition switch) is what you plug your smart key into. it has 8 specific key tracks. you can never have more than 8 keys for your smartkey benz. each track has 200,000 rolling codes. once these codes are "used" the key is useless and must be replaced. once all keys are used, the EIS has to be replaced. mercedes made these items this way so that you couldnt take any old smartkey to a dealer, give thema vin and have it programmed. then you could just specify the vin of any desired benz and POOF! youve got a key for it. the only "programming" that happens when you stick the key into the ignition is the EIS is identifying the key number (which track it is) and then varifies its current rolling code. once again, sorry guys. but why would the dealer turn you down to program a key, if there labor rate is 100 dollars and hour and it only takes 20 seconds? they wouldnt. thats pure frofit for the tech and the dealership.

·
Registered
2003 E 320
40 Posts
according to MB Laguna Niguel's Service center, a used key can be added to a different car so long as there are still available slots in the ignition system.

next time my car is in, i'll give them my extra key to add on.

we'll see.
-mike.

·
Registered
SLK32
915 Posts
michaeljacob - 10/14/2004 9:24 AM

according to MB Laguna Niguel's Service center, a used key can be added to a different car so long as there are still available slots in the ignition system.

next time my car is in, i'll give them my extra key to add on.

we'll see.
-mike.
Any news?

·
Registered
111/123/124/126/140/201
925 Posts
I got a 97 S500 and doesnt have the smart key system, so is that mean i can get the key from ebay and reprogram myself?
It looks kinda simple from the previous replies. Just aimed at the rear mirror and press the remote twice, then start the car... is that true? Anyone try that before?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts