Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2005 C230 Kompressor Sport sedan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week my rear windshield was busted completely out in an accident and I just had it replaced today. Everything electronic-wise seems to be working fine...except the key fob remote. Even before the glass was replaced when it was sitting waiting to be, I discovered that the range of the key fob was greatly decreased. If I go up to within two feet or less of the car, it locks/unlocks just fine. But any more than that and I get nothing from any of the three buttons (lock/unlock/trunk). I am wondering if getting the rear windshield replaced has ANYTHING to do with this...I don't know why it would but just curious. I know there's some electronics back there but not sure what.

I do have a spare key fob and it functions exactly the same as the main one because I just tried it. So, I deduced from that that it can't be a problem with the key fobs themselves or their batteries but with whatever device in the car that receives the signal. Any ideas and what the approx. cost would be to get the range back to normal?

BTW, it's a 2005 C230K sedan.

·
Registered
2004 C230 Kompressor Sport Coupe
1,903 Posts
The gizmo that receives those signals is above the headliner, I believe on the left side. Search and you shall be rewarded: someone replaced it recently. I recall about $500 for the part and coding. It is also possible that moisture got above the headliner, those receivers have been known to have grounding problems on the W210s and the same engineers did the W203 ...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts