Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2001 C240
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My key fob only works when very close to the vehicle (within 10ft, usually less). I understand that the first thing to check is the antenna amplifier fuse, but I can't seem to locate it. There are three fuse boxes on the '98 e320 - one under the hood, one on the driver-side dash, and one under the rear seat. The closest I can find is "Central Locking System" which supposedly includes fuses 1,4,5,19,(16,41). 16 and 41 are under the hood. I checked all of these, and none of them are blown. Any ideas/similar issues? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
In my experience, the effective range of the IR portion of the smart keys is limited. This was true for both original keys that I received with my used car. I found a good deal on a new chrome style key and bought one. The range on that one is acceptable.

Some members have posted that cleaning the window on the key may help but I have no personal experience with that fix.

I have never heard of checking the antennae amplifier so I appreciate the tip. If mine ever degrades further, I'll investigate that.

·
Registered
2001 C240
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed!

Hehe ok so mine came with two keys - one black and one chrome. When I first got it the black one didn't work at all for remote entry. I put new batteries in the black one and it had a terrible range, so I assumed it was an issue with the car itself - but after reading your post I thought 'why not try the new batteries in the chrome key?' Well, guess what... it works!! Much better range with the chrome key and new batteries. I guess this makes the black one the spare... Thanks for your insight!

Attachments

·
Registered
1990 Mercedes-Benz 420 SEL(RIP),1997 Mercedes-Benz E420
1,936 Posts
Im assuming the box keys used for my 97 can't be substituted with the chrome key?

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6 AMG "Alma", 1990 190e 2.6 Black, 2001 230SLK Magma Red
944 Posts
Im assuming the box keys used for my 97 can't be substituted with the chrome key?
No, the 98 started the first year of the smart key vs. our older switchblade key.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz E200 (W210 - 1997)
34 Posts
My 97 E200 comes with the new FOB key not the switchblade version. I have both the old black FOB and the new chrome one.

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

1 - 6 of 6 Posts