Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for the experts.

What exactly do you have to change/do to improve MPG when remapping any car/van. Or to ask the question again, what is it that you do that improves MPG?
Also is it possible to design a remap that is tailored to fuel efficiency?

I had a T5 remapped a few years ago and it did make a positive difference, but what made the difference?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hi,

A remap basically adjusts the Fueling throughout the rev range and the torque limiter.

In good circumstances you get better MPG as your using less revs and throttle to get to the desired speed. If you drive sensbily and aim to get good MPG then the advantages are there. But if you go flat out everywhere then dont expect to get good MPG!

I have a 112cdi Remapped by myself, Is VERY fast but still only does around 430-470 mile per tank so around 35mpg..

It seems like the Lower powered as standard improve more on MPG - 108cdi Up it to around 110bhp and alot of people say they get good returns!

Mark

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take it by the lack of replies, nobody knows or cares whats being done to their vehicles, as long as the go FASTER.

I think I'll look elsewhere.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry Mark, I should have said a big thank you for your reply. I think the lack of response from others is quite telling, don't you?

I would have thought Ozmo whatever would be all over this but.......

I've seen lots of claims from various companies, but no explanation of the process behind it. What I want is for somebody to say we will do this , this, and change that, so at 70mph in 6th gear on the motorway, the engine is running at it's peak efficiency.

·
Registered
1999 108 Cdi Traveliner, 1999 V220 Cdi, 2003 V220 Cdi
185 Posts
Hi All.

I recently took the opportunity to have my V220 remapped, by Mark of Vitospares fame.

Although I think I grasped the basics I didn't fully understand what was done and so cannot pass on any technical detail, either in the capacity of an expert or otherwise.

My plan was to improve fuel consumption, but to be honest I've been too busy hooning around enjoying the increased performance to bother with all that nonsense!

I'm sure that when the novelty's worn off I'll put my sensible head on & work on calculating the new fuel figures.

If I get this new performance and the consumption remains the same I won't be upset - if it improves as well...bonus!

With regard to Andy's comments I'd just like to say that they're generally a good bunch on this forum, with plenty of helpful advice.

Few of us claim to be experts though, and perhaps don't feel qualified to respond to your request in the way you expected.

If there is a lack of response, despite the post being read, you can generally assume that none of us can answer your question....nor are we obliged to, as it's a general forum.

If you have a specific question for an individual, just PM him.

Thanks again to Mark, for the re-map...highly recommended :thumbsup:

I reckon my first speeding ticket for years isn't far away! :D

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
111cdi Dualiner
11 Posts
Hi
Thought I'd throw in my tuppence worth!
Had my 111cdi remapped by Angel Tuning. I think the only way you can get better fuel economy and more power is to make the combustion process more efficient. (All other things being equal).
The remap does this by adjusting the fuel map to try to achieve more accurate air fuel ratios for any given combination of temp, load and revs etc.
The manufacturers maps are comprimised by meeting emmission, noise regulations. And to ensure that they can charge extra for the next model up, using the same basic mechanics!
I'm sure people on here will pick holes in this. But it should be no surprise that if you optimise the combustion process, you improve power AND fuel economy for any given conditions.

By the way. my van is now faster and more pleasant to drive. Average mpg is improved by about 5mpg.

·
Registered
2001 110 CDI (sold) 2006 111 CDI Comfort (current)
695 Posts
I've been considering a re-map for a while now and I too would like better MPG over power. I mean, we all get there in the end, just set off a bit earlier....

What my question is, and I think Mark might be able to help here:

How do you know if the van has had it done already??????
Unfortunately, not much was known about my Vito when I bought it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello. I can tell you my Van hasn't been done as I've owned it from new. Its a 115 Sport. How much more can be rung from that engine?

I'm sorry if my questioning or manner has offended anyone, but I honestly only want more MPG. I want to find out if the people making such claims can back them up with facts and figure, and "blind me with science" a bit. I want to know if they know what they are doing, and not just plugging in a bit of software acquired from ebay.

When you think Re-map you think knobin in a Saxo, a petrolhead. I was just hoping there are like minded fellows on this forum who can see past the "more power!" and see the positives we maybe able to gain from a re-map.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Andy,

I also Have a 115 639 Vito - Its running a remap. Before I did it I got 550Miles to a tank on steady runs ( I used the motorway daily so really its 80/20 combination) With remap Id be lucky to get 460 to a tank, Because as the power is there you use it more frequently and freely! This is also with Cruise control on most of the motorway time!

Lower horse power models will benefit, But the 115 is already pushing the programming to its maximum effcientcy.

So IMHO No you won't get better MPG...

Thats how it is.

Martin - It would be easy to tell, Reading the Map from the ECU and comparing it to an original. Many tuners have different ways of "Remapping"

Or I could take it for a drive!

·
Registered
Mercedes Vito Dualiner 2005
184 Posts
you need some patience for some replies mate...

anyway... I had my 2005 vito 109 re-mapped and I get better performance out of it but if I drive like an old man I also get better fuel economy.

I usually get between 40-45 mpg out of my vito

Well worth doing in my opinion

Hope this helps

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As I suspected the 115 is already pushing the abilities of that 2.2ltr engine. I already drive like Miss Daisy to squeeze every last drop out of the tank, I think its time to look at the new eco tyres.

·
Registered
2001 110 CDI (sold) 2006 111 CDI Comfort (current)
695 Posts
Ha ha, that is the sure fire way Mark. I guess I could just hail down the next Vito I see in the street and ask for a go to see the difference. I just don't want to haul a poor guy out here to come and do it, just to waste his time finding out it's already been done!!

·
Registered
2002 vito 112 cdi, 2002 bmw m3 , 2008 bmw 320d
122 Posts
Andy if you would like to know more about my remapping please contact me, ive only just seen this thread ! I have a few options for you.......

·
Registered
outgoing 108 CDi 99 plate. incoming 120 Duel-liner fully loaded. SWEET
6 Posts
Hi, Cant believe this thread is 3 years old without a post. Surely more people are looking to save on their fuel... Any guys still here doing the mapping? and do you cover South Manchester. Ive a Vito 120, 07 plate, Auto, and getting 24/25 Mpg and would like to get it up towards 30 ideally. My Van is new to me, so I'm still assessing the MPG, but other area's im looking to help would be the huge 20" alloys. its running with 245/40 continentals. Would changing these down to something more standard help MPG?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi, Cant believe this thread is 3 years old without a post. Surely more people are looking to save on their fuel... Any guys still here doing the mapping? and do you cover South Manchester. Ive a Vito 120, 07 plate, Auto, and getting 24/25 Mpg and would like to get it up towards 30 ideally. My Van is new to me, so I'm still assessing the MPG, but other area's im looking to help would be the huge 20" alloys. its running with 245/40 continentals. Would changing these down to something more standard help MPG?
OK. First thing I suggest you do is go to this site http://www.torquecars.com/tuning/alloy-wheels.php and enter your wheel / tyre combo size now and the original wheel / tyre combo site in the handy calculator at the bottom of the page.

This will tell you how far out your speedo is currently misreading both your speed and distance covered.

When I bought my V220 it had 18" wheels & tyres on it, which were putting the readings way out.

I've gone down to 17" wheels with 227/55 tyres on, which is the max size as grudgingly advised in the owners manual. This means by speedo is still misreading, but only fractionally (which that calculator handily advised me).

As for wheel size affect on (true) mpg, it won't have anywhere near as much of an affect as how you choose to use your right foot, which is also true for remapping.

However, as already advised on this thread, there are plenty of other reasons that may encourage you to go for a remap.

On the wheel size front, the biggest differences I have noticed have been reduced noise (aided by choice of good tyres) and an improved ride. On top of that I suspect that the more standard size wheels & tyres put less strain on the engineering of the gearbox, brakes etc.

And of course, they make my V220 legal and my insurance valid, which is nice.

Hope that helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts