Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be a reliable place to mount and balance tires... I need TPMS removed from my old rims and installed on the new ones. Then Mounting and balancing. I am trying to get some pricing from the dealer range was $180 to $480. Don't get it... What other place should I look into? I live in Northern NJ NY metro area

·
Registered
06 R360, 06 F350 6.0, 04 CayenneS, 96 911TT 500HP, 86 928S, 74 911S, 73 914-4, 70 914-6, 02 Durrango
301 Posts
Americas Tire Co.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 2007 R320 CDI, 2012 E63 P30, 2013 SLK250
440 Posts
I'm in the same boat currently...
Went to a nearby Merchants tire that was listed as a TR recommended installer. Their pricing breakdown is as follows:
- 50-55 series profile tire mount and balance = 14.50 x 4 = 58
- "TPMS service" (basically means mandatory fee if you have TPMS) = 10 x 4 = 40
- Tire disposal fee = 2 x 4 = 8
- moving TPMS from one set of wheels to another = 5 x 4 = 20
- dismount charge for dismounting tires off the TPMS wheel set = 5 x 4 = 20
Total will be around $150.
Here's the current catch,
they said they couldn't do it because they don't have the TPMS service kit for my R and need to order it from the stealership. OEM specs state that anytime the TPMS is moved or reinstalled, a new "service kit" needs to be used (includes rubber "grommet" and new TPMS valve-stem. No idea if that is true or not, but I called around and was quoted ~$125 for the "service kit" from Sears. I can only assume the stealership will charge more than that. I found the replacement valve-stem for the TPMS on ebay for ~$18 shipped. Figured at least I can see what this thing looks like before I decide what to do. I'm waiting for it now...
-Robert

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I'll try Ray Catena MB in NJ. They said 89.99 for mounting an balancing the 4 tires. Seems like a good price. Another $120 for removing and installing the TPMS. I think I'll give them a shot. I am assuming they'll do a better job since they have the right equipment....

·
Registered
02ML320 & 06RClass (sold)
1,632 Posts
I think I'll try Ray Catena MB in NJ. They said 89.99 for mounting an balancing the 4 tires. Seems like a good price. Another $120 for removing and installing the TPMS. I think I'll give them a shot. I am assuming they'll do a better job since they have the right equipment....
When I have tires to be replaced or just tire rotation I normally go to Open Road MB (formally known as Millenium) primarily because the price is almost the same as to STS and any indy shop for that matter. Other reason is that they gave me a MB rental.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is in Bridgewater NJ right. I'll check them out...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got a quote from Open Road MB... $432.00 for
mounting and balancing and $159.00 for four wheel alignment. That is way too much, but that price included getting the TPMS from my old wheels...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I will give Open Road MB a try. They came back with a much more reasonable price and it is cool that they give a loaner even though I did not buy the car from them. Their communication is also excellent so far... Will keep you all posted.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,110 Posts
I just got a quote from Open Road MB... $432.00 for
mounting and balancing and $159.00 for four wheel alignment. That is way too much, but that price included getting the TPMS from my old wheels...
Unless you've been in a major accident you don't need the alignment.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do need the alignment. The car has developed a considerable pull to the right... too many potholes in NY/NJ

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had a great experience at Open Road MB of Bridgewater NJ... Better pricing than other dealers, good communication, and they gave me a loaner although I did not buy the vehicle from them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Had a great experience at Open Road MB of Bridgewater NJ... Better pricing than other dealers, good communication, and they gave me a loaner although I did not buy the vehicle from them.
Was the 'service kit' really necessary? Did you have to get it in your case?

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic, 2007 R320 CDI, 2012 E63 P30, 2013 SLK250
440 Posts
You only need a "service kit" if you are removing the sensors for any reason. In my case, I moved them to a different set of wheels, so I needed them. When they are removed, the seals get damaged and a new sensor stem is needed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
You only need a "service kit" if you are removing the sensors for any reason. In my case, I moved them to a different set of wheels, so I needed them. When they are removed, the seals get damaged and a new sensor stem is needed.
Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts