Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating buying a 190e 2.6. Mileage is around 180,xxx. I am a e30 bmw guy so i do not know much about the 190E? What things should i look for before the purchase? For example i know on the e30 u need to have the timing belt changed every 50,000 miles. Any important maintenance like this on the 190e.

Do these motors have a timing chain or timing belt? Regards Matt

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
man, another reliability thread...the head gasket is the only thing on the 2.6 as dave said

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry i know this topic must have been covered a load of times but did some searching and didn't find what i was looking for. I found another reliability thread but the moderator closed it bc of some bickering. thanks for the heads up. I don't think this guy has any maintenance records for the car. anything else?

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
thats another point you can use to talk down the price. look at the motor and see how clean it is. is there oil all over the motor? etc. if its clean its a good sign that it was taken care of..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool. thanks for the info. If it was blown i guess i would be seeing white smoke out of the exhaust and bubbles in the coolant tank?

·
IR MODERATOR
9,228 Posts
oil in coolant, or white foam in the oil. whats the cars condition body and interior wise?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have not yet seen the car yet. I am going to see it tomorrow. What do these cars go for in good condition with about 180,xxx miles automatic trans.?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Timing chain and head gasket everything else is a easy fix. As for price it really depends on condition but no more then 2k if no records and 180k. If it's a 90-93 maybe a little more and if it's a sportline I will need the sellers number...jk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Timing chain and head gasket everything else is a easy fix. As for price it really depends on condition but no more then 2k if no records and 180k. If it's a 90-93 maybe a little more and if it's a sportline I will need the sellers number...jk
HaHa, i have seen the sportline and they look very nice. I am going to see the car today so we will see what happens. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The car was a major POS. The ad did not tell me he was used car salesman. It wasn't even the same car that was advertised on craigslist. What a douche. thanks for the help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts