Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in buying a E420, I just love the looks of them and they handle amazing in comparison to other luxury cars.
But I'm concerned about the reliability, Anyone here own one and would they like to post their thoughts/experiences on the repairs and issues of the 97 and up E420? I don't mind fixing a Mercedes, I just want to be sure that they are reliable.. those V8's are they good?

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I think 1997 was the only year for the W210 E420, but I believe that engine was used in a few W220 S-Class also (S420). As far as I know, there is nothing inherently wrong with that power plant.

I had a 1998 E430 that I bought with a lot of miles (117k) for $12,900 and I thought that was a good deal at the time. That car quickly turned into an expensive mistake and I traded it w/125k for what I have now. It used oil, I had to replace an O2 sensor, and then I had a leaking A/C compressor to deal with.

Don't let my experience discourage you, but I learned from my mistake. I'd advise you to buy one that comes with a complete service history, and as with all used cars, have a pre-purchase inspection done by an experienced Mercedes shop.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1997 E420
189 Posts
reliability...E420 1997.

Ok,

I've had my 1997 E420 since August 2005. I've put 32,000 miles over 21 months of primarily stop and go traffic commuting.

Only one issue, the transmission control module failure, forced me to drive the car in for immediate service. Put another way, I haven't had to call a tow truck yet, unlike my old Jag, which has been on a Flatbed truck 5 times in 3 years.

Check out my car's photo's:

Mercedes-Benz E 420 page

Here's a breakdown of what I've had to do outside of regular maintenance, oil, filters, brakes, etc:

-72,000 Miles- new Bilstein HD shocks (<$160 dollars- self install), a must have replacement, extreme ride improvement.
-80.000 Miles- New headlight lenses (<$180 dollars- self install), another must have, as the old ones were quite faded.
-92,000 catalytic converter failure ($800 for cheap replacements- Midas)
-92,000 Miles- New spark plugs, ($10 dollars- self install) no difference in performance, although the old ones looked quite worn.
-100,00 Miles- ($900 dollars- AAMCO Inc.) Transmission control module, speed control module.

The other item that can go out on these is the oil tubes (I believe), but these can be fixed quite easily if you do it yourself. From what I've read there isn't much that should go wrong in terms of major items in the engine and transmission. I've heard that window regulators and sunroom motors sometimes give out after 100,00 miles, but I am planning to put another 100,000 miles before this car retires...

·
Registered
96 SL500, 97 E420,
1,098 Posts
I bought a 97 e420 2 yrs ago. It had 35k miles at the time, one owner who drove it from Santa Monica to Century City. It had both remotes, valet and master (what used to be called skeleton) key. It had the leather manual cover. These items give a good indication of whether or not the previous owner is responsible or not, as we've al seen examples of missing keys, manuals, etc. I had it checked out just the same, the only thing wrong was three little cracks along the dash, annoying but not a deal breaker. I went to the dealer where it was purchased and serviced and got a maintenance history printout. It had been checked and went over throughly. I now have 62k miles and it runs great, no leaks, no problems, plenty of passing power, fun to drive especially with a wood and leather steering wheel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
very interesting, I've read about MErcedes and their problems which are notorious.. I'm a student and I have cash, but I don't want to always be putting money into a Mercedes with their crazy prices... do you think this is a good choice?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very interesting, I've read about MErcedes and their problems which are notorious.. I'm a student and I have cash, but I don't want to always be putting money into a Mercedes with their crazy prices... do you think this is a good choice?

·
Registered
Oo == oO 98 E320
674 Posts
Dallas, just remember THE most important thing you can do when buying a used car: have a mechanic check it over. They can tell you what the car may need now as well as in the near future. The older car the more important this step is.

·
Registered
1997 E420
300 Posts
Check carefully for rust, particularly on the trunk lid and where the front springs meet the body. The engine and transmission are as close to bulletproof as you will ever find... as long as they are properly maintained.

·
Registered
1997 E420 - 2007 ML350 Limited - 2011 E350 Cabriolet 2009 E550 Sport
220 Posts
I have 97K on mine 97-E420. Great car but has a few bugs but not Dramatic. My most persistant problem has been the Air conditioner. Other than that I know the oil injectors go out ..(they are plastic) and when one does have them change ALL of them on the side affected. You will know this is going on when you here a persistant clicking when engine is running. Also I have had to change 2 of the ignition coils on 2 seperate occasions (It has 8 of them.) NOT CHEAP. Also I just had most of the left front end redone...bushings, Ball joints, control arms due to 1960 caddy like squeeking that was very embarrassing. I am showing signs of needing a transmission module sooner than later:eek: OH I also replaced the front lens covers for $300 and they look GREAT!!!!!!!

In contrast my Nissan Altima with 140K on it has had only brakes and a starter in it since 93..................................................BUT IT AINT A BENZ :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
E420Nick said:
I have 97K on mine 97-E420. Great car but has a few bugs but not Dramatic. My most persistant problem has been the Air conditioner. Other than that I know the oil injectors go out ..(they are plastic) and when one does have them change ALL of them on the side affected. You will know this is going on when you here a persistant clicking when engine is running. Also I have had to change 2 of the ignition coils on 2 seperate occasions (It has 8 of them.) NOT CHEAP. Also I just had most of the left front end redone...bushings, Ball joints, control arms due to 1960 caddy like squeeking that was very embarrassing. I am showing signs of needing a transmission module sooner than later:eek: OH I also replaced the front lens covers for $300 and they look GREAT!!!!!!!

In contrast my Nissan Altima with 140K on it has had only brakes and a starter in it since 93..................................................BUT IT AINT A BENZ :D
it sounds like a lot of work hey...

·
Registered
1997 E420 - 2007 ML350 Limited - 2011 E350 Cabriolet 2009 E550 Sport
220 Posts
dallas98 said:
it sounds like a lot of work hey...
Yea but it could be worse but ask me again after that tranny module goes out. I still love driving the thing but at $4 a gal ( here in so cal) the Nissan is lookin REAL nice right now.:p

OH ROTATE your Tire regularly. The 420 EATS front tires.

Still Love it though.:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts