Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've looked around for some reviews and thought I'd just take the plunge and ask directly. I've found this 1993 300d 2.5 turbo listed locally 1993 Mercedes 300D 2.5 Tirbo (lakeland.craigslist.org/cto/3168145991.html)
And wondered if it was worth purchasing?

I grew up with a 190e and my mom recently bought a 2012 C250 sport and loves it. I plan to use this car for light regular driving except for my 2-3 times a year when I commute from Florida to Chicago where I attend school. I am looking for great gas mileage and reliability. I know I could buy a cheap Japanese car but the quality is so low and the engines aren't made to last like Mercedes!

Has anyone has major repair issues? We had our 190e for 10+ years with no major issues so I wondered if a car like this would be the same. Are repairs extremely expensive on a model this old compared to newer or older models? Should I expect around $500-$1000 in preventive maintence a year not including oil changes? I don't necessarily want cheap but I do want reasonable in terms of maintence. What price is the car worth in your opinion? I am assuming I need to take the vehicle to a local mechanic before purchasing as well.

Thank you! I really appreciate all the help especially since this will be my first car I've bought. My budget tops at the asking price of $4500 basically.

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
I have the exact same car...same year, same color, etc. Mine even has zip ties holding the lower part of the front bumper together, just like this one...lol! As long as you take care of it, the engine shouldn't be a problem. The car suffers the same potential issues as any other W124 of the same year, such as the Vent control pods for the HVAC, driveline flex discs, engine wiring (though mine has been fine), headliners failing, Cruise control issues, and other things I can't think of right now. Honestly, I can't think of anything major that wouldn't apply to any other 20 year old car though. That said, mine has about 50K fewer miles than this one, but this one appears to have been significantly better taken care of than mine was.

Anyway, I think your main concern was the engine, and really I don't think there's too much to worry about there as long as it's been serviced regularly and everything. Personally, I would go ahead and have the car checked out by a mechanic before buying, just to be sure all is well with it. The 2.5TD is a wonderful motor though, IMO.

Having not seen the car in person, and not knowing what the inside looks like, I will say that I think it's probably $1K high on the price and possibly more. I would save at least $1K or $2K aside just in case, though again, this one appears to be well taken care of. Just never know though.

As far as repair costs go, I've actually found mine to be fairly inexpensive, but I'm also doing most of my own work. The parts themselves can be found for reasonable cost, it's the labor that kills you, and honestly, I find that to be true with all cars.

Verdict: I'd buy it, but I'd try and beat him/her down on the price a bit. I don't think you can really go wrong with one of these.

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
I forgot to mention that I usually get around 27 MPG in the city and 35 MPG on the highway, which I think is great for a two ton tank of a car. One thing to keep in mind is that this car is, at best, adequate in acceleration from a standing start, and if you turn the A/C on it's downright dreadful. However, once it's rolling it moves along quite well and on the highway it will cruise along at high speeds without any problem. You just have to adjust to not pulling out in front of people from side streets and things like that! :eek:

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Chuck, your 2.5t should not be slow under any situation. Are you sure the timing and ALDA are properly adjusted?. These cars make excellent commuters and cruisers

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
Chuck, your 2.5t should not be slow under any situation. Are you sure the timing and ALDA are properly adjusted?. These cars make excellent commuters and cruisers
Next time I have it into the mechanic (or when I figure out how to adjust those), I will have it checked. I was going to take it in soon to have the fuel tank filter checked anyway. Thanks!

·
Registered
94 E320 5 spd conversion
952 Posts
the pre-purchase inspection will be the best thing you are doing as long as its at a shop that services W124 chassis. Be prepared for a list of "stuff", hopefully none major. The small items may or may not turn you away, depending upon how much wrenching you do or are willing to learn. If you need to pay someone to do a bunch of small repairs it adds up quickly. Cold air, good cosmetics, few owners, etc. are all a plus.

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
Update: I found out my fuel tank was full of algae and the screen was clogged. Had the fuel tank cleaned and the screen replaced and now the car is notably quicker off the line. I only have to push the accelerator a little bit now to move from a stop and it actually pushes me back in the seat a bit when accelerating! :D

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Update: I found out my fuel tank was full of algae and the screen was clogged. Had the fuel tank cleaned and the screen replaced and now the car is notably quicker off the line. I only have to push the accelerator a little bit now to move from a stop and it actually pushes me back in the seat a bit when accelerating! :D
Nice. With a few more adjustments, I bet we can quicken up your acceleration even more.

·
Immoderately Caffeinated/ Vintage Moderator
T5
17,051 Posts
I will admit it's tempting, though anything that costs money and is not mandatory is off the list for now. And nothing that isn't an emergency is coming before the headliner! :eek:
I love these cars. Unfortunately non of the turbo 124 D's came to Oz cos I would dearly like to own one. Buy it for me!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,727 Posts
Injection timing adjustment doesn't cost money (usually) while it made noticeable difference on our 87 300DT.
I bet nobody check the timing in previous 291k miles.

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
I love these cars. Unfortunately non of the turbo 124 D's came to Oz cos I would dearly like to own one. Buy it for me!
Bummer! I've always had a soft spot for 5 cylinder engines and the 5 cylinder turbo diesel is no exception. Especially now that it's getting fuel, it's quite a beauty and makes great sounds.

Injection timing adjustment doesn't cost money (usually) while it made noticeable difference on our 87 300DT.
I bet nobody check the timing in previous 291k miles.
Yeah, I need to figure out how to do that. I'm sure I can, I just have not looked up the procedure yet.

·
Registered
36,727 Posts
Yeah, I need to figure out how to do that. I'm sure I can, I just have not looked up the procedure yet.
I mentioned that in my thread about oil pump failure.
The 3 main bolts holding IP are easy to loosen, but the one on the back is going to cost you some bad language. I was able to get to it by pulling CC module out on 87 diesel.
Than you open the control plug on the IP, turn the engine to the mark and verify the angle. For adjustment IP has convenient pulling screw and you have several degrees on movement on pump bracket to play with. The same procedure seems to apply to all the diesels till cdi althought I have to check how the 98-99 diesels do it with CPS.
Once I get more time, I am planning to do it on all cars. It is not just performance we are talking about fuel saving. Don't you like to save money while driving better?

·
Registered
1991 300 E 4-matic
4 Posts
@chuck - what are the cruise control issues you mentioned? I just got a 91 300 e the other day and as I was driving it back along the highway with the cruise on, it suddenly disengaged. I'd reset it and it would happen again. Is there a separate thread for cruise issues?

Sent from my iPad using AG Free

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
@chuck - what are the cruise control issues you mentioned? I just got a 91 300 e the other day and as I was driving it back along the highway with the cruise on, it suddenly disengaged. I'd reset it and it would happen again. Is there a separate thread for cruise issues?

Sent from my iPad using AG Free
Mine just quit working completely. When I bought the car it worked perfectly. I still have not figured out why it stopped working, though I suspect I did something either when installing the new stereo or replacing interior lights. I think there are a few threads about cruise, but I don't know of one that is anywhere near complete. I will have to look later.

·
Registered
1993 300D 2.5 "Elsie"
1,287 Posts
I mentioned that in my thread about oil pump failure.
The 3 main bolts holding IP are easy to loosen, but the one on the back is going to cost you some bad language. I was able to get to it by pulling CC module out on 87 diesel.
Than you open the control plug on the IP, turn the engine to the mark and verify the angle. For adjustment IP has convenient pulling screw and you have several degrees on movement on pump bracket to play with. The same procedure seems to apply to all the diesels till cdi althought I have to check how the 98-99 diesels do it with CPS.
Once I get more time, I am planning to do it on all cars. It is not just performance we are talking about fuel saving. Don't you like to save money while driving better?
Thanks! I'll try and be brave one of these weekends! :)

·
Registered
36,727 Posts
Rereading my previous advise, I should add that you should check the timing before going for moving the IP pump ;)
Chances are you have the correct timing and checking only is few minutes job.
Not likely situation as the timing chains stretch with the mileage and again, our 87 model did notice the timing resetting quite clearly.
I don't record mpg on this car, but spinning tires on dry asphalt sure made me smiling. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts