Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,176 Posts
Well, the top needs it the most. I would think the rack and all those runners have to come off to do a decent job. Which means the headliner comes out.....not that ambitious at present.

Kevin

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
25 Posts
^ I understand Steve's point. The original cylinders are now 25 years old and if one is leaking, it is a safe bet the others aren't going to last another 25 years. Keeping the cost down by waiting for future failures of the others can jack up the labor side of the equation as the cylinders are attacked individually. But to each his own. There are lots of reasons for dealing with them piecemeal - the most compelling of which is if the car isn't going to be kept long.
The labor is mine since I do the removal and rebuilding myself and I suppose that’s the reason I only deal with them when they become a problem. So far only three have leaked. No doubt they all will eventually

·
Registered
'95 E300 DIESEL, '91 600SEL, '92 600SEL
16,910 Posts
A W124 cab has 8 cylinders to operate the top. I stand by my opinion that it is penny wise and pound foolish to tear into the system to rebuild one cylinder at a time. They all work and wear as a set and rebuilding one will just put more pressure on the weakest one in the chain until they are all done. OTOH, I'd be glad to charge you the labor to do just one cylinder at a time on 8 separate service visits. That's my kind of repeat customer I like to see come through the door.

Hope you are not just replacing O rings and calling that a "DIY cylinder rebuild". It is the internal rod & piston seals which are more often than not the real culprit.

·
Premium Member
1993 300CE Cabriolet (mine) ; 1994 E320 Wagon (wife's) ; 1990 Benz 300E 2.6 (son's)
6,834 Posts
indeed. Top Hydraulics replaces all the seals in each cylinder with improved materials such as teflon/viton hybrids, or better grade polyurethane as appropriate.

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,409 Posts
There's an old saying in the used car trade "it isn't the year, it's the mileage".

My R350 has done 210k miles give or take and I'm starting to have to replace parts, not big ones, yet, but replace worn out parts, yes.

I have no doubt that with the mileage and the R-class being about as popular as a dose of herpes, the car isn't worth the value of the contents of the gas tank were I to sell it, so I intend to keep it until it literally falls apart. Moreover, they don't make R-classes (for sale in the US anyway) any more, so replacing it with a newer one is impossible, and as I rather like the large station wagon / 4WD format for ski trips, hauling wardrobes around, etc. I'm going to keep it.

If you are ever minded to buy a high mileage car, be very VERY careful. If you know the owner and know what has and has not been done to maintain the car, that's one thing, but to buy one off the lot at "Big Al's Used Cars Emporium" would be a no-no.

·
Registered
16,910 Posts
Count yourself lucky you've got one of the later R class (W251). Those early ones were real stinkers.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
25 Posts
Three out of how many?
A W124 cab has 8 cylinders to operate the top. I stand by my opinion that it is penny wise and pound foolish to tear into the system to rebuild one cylinder at a time. They all work and wear as a set and rebuilding one will just put more pressure on the weakest one in the chain until they are all done. OTOH, I'd be glad to charge you the labor to do just one cylinder at a time on 8 separate service visits. That's my kind of repeat customer I like to see come through the door.

Hope you are not just replacing O rings and calling that a "DIY cylinder rebuild". It is the internal rod & piston seals which are more often than not the real culprit.
Well, all I can say is so far, so good.

·
Registered
1995 E320 Cabriolet
25 Posts
The top goes up, the top goes down. The pump reservoir stays full. The first cylinder was rebuilt more than two years ago, so I don’t know what else to say. I’ll leave this thread now and look forward to the next sunny day

·
Registered
16,910 Posts
Rolex, Timex. Meh, they both keep time. So what's the diff, right??? :rolleyes:

41 - 52 of 52 Posts