Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300E (sold), 1994 500E conversion (gone but not forgotten), 1996 S600
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried a few searches on releasing the emergencybrake and can't find our the tip I need. I am doing rear brakes (rotors and pads) on a 96 S600 and am stuck at the "stuck rotor" point. Looking for a quick tip on how to release the parking shoes. Thanks in advance.

Grand

·
Registered
1986 560SEL, 1986 560SEL, 1992 500SEL, 1999 S500
473 Posts
You shouldn't need to do anything. They are almost never used, therefore they don't wear into the rotor hat and don't self-adjust to a position inside of the hat. The rotors will just pull straight out, unless something in the emergency brake mechanism has broken, like a spring or retainer and it jams up--had this happen before.
How stuck is it? will it move/wiggle at all? If not, did you remove the flatheah rotor retaining bolt between two lug bolt threads? Rotors will often rust to the spindle and need a little "persuasion" from a BFH.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I have not tried "persuading" it too much but some threads seem to indicate that the shoes need to be released. I wonder if these cars have a mechanism that applies a minor force on the shoes so the vehicle does not roll but not enough to "hold" the car. Any other inputs would be appreciated too. I have read lots of folks who have had trouble with this removal.

·
Registered
2001 E55 AMG
3,294 Posts
Shine a torch through a wheel bolt hole and turn it 'till you see the star wheel,then back it off and give the disc a big whack with a hammer.Fit the new one and adjust the star wheel 'till it locks, then back it off slightly so you can turn the disc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silly question, I am doing this one side at a time, should I have both wheels off the ground in the rear when doing this? I am assuming this is the only way the rotor will turn freely if both wheels are suspended off the ground?

·
Registered
1993 300SEL (Sold) 2007 X5
7,218 Posts
Silly question, I am doing this one side at a time, should I have both wheels off the ground in the rear when doing this? I am assuming this is the only way the rotor will turn freely if both wheels are suspended off the ground?
I think you do have to - when I had mine adjusted I'm pretty sure they said they did. Perhaps removing the rear wheels would actually make it easier, you can see what you're doing etc - you're going to have to take them off to repair it anyway won't you?

·
Outstanding Contributor - Always Remembered, RIP
Zotye Auto 1.5T T600 2016
52,804 Posts
You can do it with one wheel off the floor, simply chock the wheel that is on the floor and put the shift lever in neutral. Then you can turn the wheel that is off the floor and release the park brake shoes as Shaun suggested, see pic below.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all who gave me great tips. Ended up using a gear puller to help Encourage the rotor along. Greatest sound was hearing the rotor popping off!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts