Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Viano 3.2 2006 and 230 v class 1998
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, can someone help me locate the Relay and fuse location of the Air suspension compressor for my 2006 Viano

Air Suspension would not power on.
I removed the compressor unit and tested put 12 volts to it, it came on but only very slowly, we had just had the beast from the east it had bing sitting in deep snow, after a while of running it slowly came back to full speed the compression was good.

My thoughts were that the cold had caused the compressor to seize, when it was then activated I guessed in had over heated the circuits and caused a fuse or relay to blow, I was please to find this and thought the fix would be a simple matter of replacing the relay or fuse or both.

The problem I then discovered was that I have to date been unable to locate either. The fuse box on my Viano is under the bonnet it looks simulated to the diagram posted by Jakob Uhin 4.3.2018 (thank you Jakab). Mercedes are very good at hiding such routine maintenance details from its customers, even the parts department at the Stealers use Mercedes WIS to get some information but they too could not give any definitive location or identify to where or which components were for the compressor circuit.

The suspension bellows work although after I have fixed the power issue to the compressor I think I will replace them they are very easy to change and not over priced.

In the mean time to keep the motor mobile I have connected extra hydraulic pipes going into the bellows and have rigged Schrader value to each bellow so I can manually pump theses up. (this I could do with a cycle pump)

Luckily its just passed the MOT as new UK MOT rules will mean any warning lights that remain on the dash will be classed as a failure.

My Hill Billy fix is okay, but I want to get the issue sorted, the test I did on one of the level sensors looked like it may be faulty as I could not get any change in continuity or power reading if I put 12 volts to it despite adjusting it manually through the full cycle of position it can go through position, to my way of thinking the other level sensor would still be calling for a power supply maybe I’m wrong.

I am interested to here from others especially if you can point me to where the relay and fuse can be found.

Regards Kristoofar

·
Registered
Viano 3.2 2006 and 230 v class 1998
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update:

Incase anyone is having the same problem,

I have made good the quick fix I did to get the airbags manually pumped up, I found the Hill Billy fix of bodging a car tire Schrader valve to the 4mm pipes proved to leak a little, I also found one of the airbags have a leak from wear.

I replaced the leaking airbag £50 from fleabay (this was very easy its a quick job) I ran new 4mm pipes direct from each airbag to a manufactured Schrader valve to a 4mm push fit, (I needed just 2, a set of 4 cost £25 again from fleabay) there were no other links in the pipe work, these inflated very quickly (it could be done with a bike pump) I used and 12v compressor.

The bags have stayed up for over a week, I am not driving long journeys at high speeds if I was I would manually lower the height to suit but currently thats not an issue. I hope to find the relay location point very soon.

Having searched the internet and Mercedes WIS, I did not find any diagram of the 639 fuse / relay box in the engine compartment to match my Viano 2006 3.2 petrol however I did note many similarities,
the result is I was able to comprise a diagram of my own.

I haven’t found a definite location of the compressor relay however, the only relays that are unknown are k7 & k8 they are listed as Circuit 15 & Circuit 15R, I had previously swapped the four of this type of relay around and manually switch each on with nothing activating the compressor, so I’m not convinced that these are the trouble., however I will get new relays and change these anyway.

Years ago I had problems on a Range Rover where after a long time testing, the answer was under easy to see on the underside of the fuse board, I had a quick look at how the board is fixed in the Viano, it didn’t look like it was a quick job to remove,
i certainly didn’t want to jump to conclusions hence looking elsewhere.

I know the compressor works if I connect 12volts to it directly, I haven’t yet checked if power is getting to the compressor, what I don’t know is how to test the level sensors. If any of you know I would be pleased to hear from you.

I produced the Fuse / relay ID diagram on a word document which I will attempted to attach here. If not you may PM for a copy.

kristoofar

·
Registered
1 Posts
update:

I have made good the quick fix I did to get the airbags manually pumped up, I found the Hill Billy fix of bodging a car tire Schrader valve to the 4mm pipes proved to leak a little, I also found one of the airbags have a leak from wear.

I replaced the leaking airbag £50 from fleabay (this was very easy its a quick job) I ran new 4mm pipes direct from each airbag to a manufactured Schrader valve to a 4mm push fit, (I needed just 2, a set of 4 cost £25 again from fleabay) there were no other links in the pipe work, these inflated very quickly (it could be done with a bike pump) I used and 12v compressor.

The bags have stayed up for over a week, I am not driving long journeys at high speeds if I was I would manually lower the height to suit but currently thats not an issue. I hope to find the relay location point very soon.

Having searched the internet and Mercedes WIS, I did not find any diagram of the 639 fuse / relay box in the engine compartment to match my Viano 2006 3.2 petrol however I did note many similarities,

I haven’t found a definite location of the compressor relay however, the only relays that are unknown are k7 & k8 they are listed as Circuit 15 & Circuit 15R, I had previously swapped the four of this type of relay around and manually switch each on with nothing activating the compressor, so I’m not convinced that these are the trouble., however I will get new relays and change these anyway.

Years ago I had problems on a Range Rover where after a long time testing, the answer was under easy to see on the underside of the fuse board, I had a quick look at how the board is fixed in the Viano, it didn’t look like it was a quick job to remove,

I know the compressor works if I connect 12volts to it directly, I haven’t yet checked if power is getting to the compressor, what I don’t know is how to test the level sensors. If any of you know I would be pleased to hear from you.

I produced the Fuse / relay ID diagram on a word document which I will attempted to attach here. If not you may PM for a copy.

kristoofar
update:

kristoofar
Hi Kristoofar,

Have you found the relay location yet?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts