Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got my ML, it had seats that had been badly worn, can you guys recommend to me anyway to clean, protect and rejuvenate. I have Meguiars Gold Class Conditioner which will protect them but I need them clean first. Is it too late to remove those severe and numerous cracks?

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 ML 320: Engine:112942 31 305548, Transmission: 722662 03 807606, FrontAxelAL431020714752162233
128 Posts
My seats Charcoal color like yours on my 2003 ML 320 were also in rough shape. There was some cracking and wear but not real bad, mine were more from children of the prior owner spilling soda and cool-aid on the seats and carpets, it was sticky mess of a car when I got it. At any auto store or Walmart where you get the leather conditioner you can get McGuire's Leather and Vinyl cleaner. Note this is a cleaner and smells like one too, more like 409 or maybe something a little stronger. You spray it on and then use a cloth or microfiber cloth to scrub and remove. It is not a smooth feeling action as the cleaner is not any type of lubricant so you have to muscle it off, but you can feel and see it working. Then use the leather conditioner liberally and often. Like once week until you get it looking feeling like you want. Keep in mind that some wear and cracking (not splits) add to the character of the leather, just like some well worn but comfortable shoes or leather briefcase.

·
Premium Member
1999 ML430
1,750 Posts
4wd430

I have always been happy using the Lexol products, both cleaner and protector. The cleaner works well with a soft bristle brush and a little warm water. Romove all residue with a damp microfiber cloth, let dry and then apply protectorant.

Another excellent product is Zaino's, made not too far from you. This protectorant has the most authentic leather smell to a new leather interior. I use it ocassionally.

Z-10 Leather in a Bottle: Zaino Store

The wear, particularly on the seat bolsters, is inevitable. Give it a litte more attention with the protectorant to prevent furthur cracking.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 ML320, 2003 A160, 2002 ML500, 2018 GLS350d
4,405 Posts
According to WIS SI98.30-P-0001A "polishing and car care products for vehicle conditioning" the only MB recommended leather conditioners are Meguiars and Wurth. If there's one in the MB car care range, I suspect it is made by Meguiars and has an MB sticker applied so the price can be marked up.

Other recommended brands of interior cleaner are Olmo (Valdan), Polytop & Sonax.

The 'cracks' you mention are just creases, like the ones in your shoes that weren't there when they were new. Of course, they cannot be removed.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I realized they are now impossible to remove but at least I can make them and the seat as a whole look better

According to WIS SI98.30-P-0001A "polishing and car care products for vehicle conditioning" the only MB recommended leather conditioners are Meguiars and Wurth. If there's one in the MB car care range, I suspect it is made by Meguiars and has an MB sticker applied so the price can be marked up.

Other recommended brands of interior cleaner are Olmo (Valdan), Polytop & Sonax.

The 'cracks' you mention are just creases, like the ones in your shoes that weren't there when they were new. Of course, they cannot be removed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts