Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1982 416 Doka
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello moggers
Ok, I am sure this will not be the only newbie question i will have, but lets start here..
I pulled off the shift boot and the metal plate under it and cleaned them up and repositioned the boot and pulled the "teats" through and can not get it back in.
The metal plate took a while to get out and there was not much wiggle room and i could see the obstructions without the boot in the way.

I am considering lifting the cab !!!!!!!! j/k I hope.....:surrender::surrender:

Is there something i am missing? I don't think it is possible to position the boot and pull the teats through while the plate is in position??
What I am i not seeing....?
I guess i am seeing why is stayed in position so long while leaking hot air up from the trans.....:crybaby2:

·
Registered
1970 Unimog 406 was VF3 Snowcutter
148 Posts
I replaced mine this year with a new one. It went pretty smoothly but I think your "plate" and mine are completely different. Mine only had a metal frame with a boot system molded onto the metal frame making it one piece. Mine didn't have any plateness to it. The new replacement boot only had a rod molded into it down the center line to give it some substance, otherwise it was like a wet noodle Since my old boot was shot I cut the rubber part away from the frame and used the frame to sandwich the new boot between the frame and the bottom of the cab. I can take some more pictures but this is what I took when I took it out, not much help I know.

I sure did need to have the levers in just the right orientation to get the old boot out but I am pretty sure it came out without issue. I seem to recall pushing the boot frame to the rear passenger side to get the front corner out then it just came out.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts