Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz E 250 CDI
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I tried searching for threads but while several alluded to it, I couldn't find anything specific, hence my call for help?

We have an 05 E 350, which we've enjoyed for the last 2 years. The problem is we've now been alerted by our local dealer after going in for a service that they discovered 2 gear teeth in the oil pan. In addition to the service they were assessing an intermittent engine light that would come and go. On a recent 5 hour trip to Adelaide the light came on enroute and we rang the Adelaide dealer who assured us it was safe to keep driving but bring it in the next day for assessment. End result they found a misaligned cam magnet and replaced it for about $300. Next day light reappears, Adelaide dealer checked again, had it for most of the day then said they couldn't confidently diagnose the problem and it needed further investigation but it was safe to drive the 5 hours to home.

After going home (car drove fine), local dealer did their thing and came up with the above diagnosis involving balance shaft which they believe will be close to $5k. The car up until this stage has always and dutifully been serviced at Mercedes Benz Melbourne (we travel a lot on business). Our local dealer has alerted us that spark plugs weren't changed at last service with Mercedes Benz Melbourne as required and the service wasn't even recorded in the service book, despite us forking out close to $900 for it. We're now about 5 months out of warranty now But the intermittent engine light has been bought to MB's attention in the past whilst in warranty with it being dismissed as a faulty sensor or no issues found so all is well.

To put it bluntly we're not happy, the local dealer Carlin and Gazzard to their credit put in an ESCULAD (which I'd never heard of) request for assistance to MB but it was refused.

Any information relating to the above would be very gratefully received, I found stuff that relevant to the M272 engine but i don't know if this is the E 350 engine even?

Thanks and Regards

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
you must have an 06 e350 cause in 2005 the e350 with a 272 engine didnt exsist. anyway the balance shaft issue only relates to the 272 v6 engine. the 273 v8 engine has the same issue with the idler gear. anyway it is a common issue on a certain vin range of cars (alot of cars). this is what the balance shaft looks like when the gear wears out.

this is one i did on a 2006 ML350 that had ELW extended warranty. this one was completely worn out. the first vehicles with the 272 engine that had these issues, the design of the gear was what caused them to fail, the gear now is made of a different material. this issue has nothing to do with maintenece, it was a design flaw and all you can do is either pay for it or ask the dealer for help.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,112 Posts
you must have an 06 e350 cause in 2005 the e350 with a 272 engine didnt exsist.

Add "in the USA" to your statement and it would be correct.

Otherwise, it's not.

Even then, you should say "in the USA in a W211" because you can go out today and buy a USA model SLK350 2005 model year.

·
Registered
1990 190E 2.3
178 Posts
What's the best thing to come out of Adelaide ??? The road to Melbourne !!!!

What is the main problem with Adelaide ? They didn't build it near any major cites ! hahahah

·
Registered
w204 (C350ELE)
1,262 Posts
you must have an 06 e350 cause in 2005 the e350 with a 272 engine didnt exsist. anyway the balance shaft issue only relates to the 272 v6 engine. the 273 v8 engine has the same issue with the idler gear. anyway it is a common issue on a certain vin range of cars (alot of cars). this is what the balance shaft looks like when the gear wears out.

this is one i did on a 2006 ML350 that had ELW extended warranty. this one was completely worn out. the first vehicles with the 272 engine that had these issues, the design of the gear was what caused them to fail, the gear now is made of a different material. this issue has nothing to do with maintenece, it was a design flaw and all you can do is either pay for it or ask the dealer for help.
Last week I got the yellow engine light to show after a 260 mile trip. Took the car to a dealer (still on warranty) who suggested the culprit would be a camshaft sensor. But StarTek showed a fault with the air intake and, checked the engine back cover poor fit, it was determined that factory applied clips were holding the cover too loose, allowing the entrance of air into the MAF mouth from the space around, in addition to the air routed through the air filters. They position the covers correctly and retained securely in place with a different MB wire clip. Problem fixed, case closed.

Gosh, a dealer who rocks, what will they think of next?
Cheers, :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,206 Posts
Hi Folks,

I tried searching for threads but while several alluded to it, I couldn't find anything specific, hence my call for help?

We have an 05 E 350, which we've enjoyed for the last 2 years. The problem is we've now been alerted by our local dealer after going in for a service that they discovered 2 gear teeth in the oil pan. In addition to the service they were assessing an intermittent engine light that would come and go. On a recent 5 hour trip to Adelaide the light came on enroute and we rang the Adelaide dealer who assured us it was safe to keep driving but bring it in the next day for assessment. End result they found a misaligned cam magnet and replaced it for about $300. Next day light reappears, Adelaide dealer checked again, had it for most of the day then said they couldn't confidently diagnose the problem and it needed further investigation but it was safe to drive the 5 hours to home.

After going home (car drove fine), local dealer did their thing and came up with the above diagnosis involving balance shaft which they believe will be close to $5k. The car up until this stage has always and dutifully been serviced at Mercedes Benz Melbourne (we travel a lot on business). Our local dealer has alerted us that spark plugs weren't changed at last service with Mercedes Benz Melbourne as required and the service wasn't even recorded in the service book, despite us forking out close to $900 for it. We're now about 5 months out of warranty now But the intermittent engine light has been bought to MB's attention in the past whilst in warranty with it being dismissed as a faulty sensor or no issues found so all is well.

To put it bluntly we're not happy, the local dealer Carlin and Gazzard to their credit put in an ESCULAD (which I'd never heard of) request for assistance to MB but it was refused.

Any information relating to the above would be very gratefully received, I found stuff that relevant to the M272 engine but i don't know if this is the E 350 engine even?

Thanks and Regards
This is a known issue by MB worldwide on the early E350 engines up to a certain VIN.
There is a DTB in the US I have seen, but can't find right now for the dealers
to handle the problem. Of course under warranty they had to fix them.
Locally I saw one with the issue out of warranty. The owner got MBUSA
involved and they worked it out that the final price for the repair was $1300.
MB put it in as a goodwill case. I still think they should have taken care of
the whole bill. The shop I have ties to is quoting 5000-6000 USD to fix this
problem.
To this date the shop has not done one. They have urged all the owners to
take it up with a dealer and MBUSA. The change in production to a harder
material clearly proves MB has an inherent flaw with the early ones and
it really should be handled by them.
I have no knowledge of the way MB handles issues like this in Australia, but
would get tough with them. I am sorry this has happened to you. Hopefully
you can get assistance from MB. Even if it was refused by MB via the dealer
does not mean you can not go after MB directly

The South Region MB office is in Mulgrave, Victoria and is also the Main MB office.
Try to get a hold of the regional manager from that office and take it up with
him/her.
Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific Pty Ltd
Head Office & Southern Region
Lexia Place, Mulgrave
Victoria 3170
(T) (03) 9566 9266
(F) (03) 9561 7088
At the price they are are trying to nail you with at the dealer it may be well
worth getting advice on a civil court action against MB. I wish I knew more
about the way this type of arbitration worked there. There must be a way
of taking them on. If it it ends up in court with all the documentation of this
issue on the car MB knows they will be in a sticky wicket. I hate to even
suggest making this litigious, but it may be the only way.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry for being off topic but is it safe to buy a 03 E240? Would there be problems such as the one on this thread?
I understand that in most countries many things were fixed with recalls but since I'm in Hong Kong at the moment I don't know if they have the same level of service. And since cars are so expensive here I can only afford a 03 E240 instead of a 06 E350 that can be bought for the same price in the UK or US.
What other problems can I expect?

·
Super Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,206 Posts
The issues would be the typical first model year issues that any car will have.

If you can get a service history of the car and see what has been done when it was under
warranty it will be very helpful to to make the decision of the purchase.

The 240 6 cylinder engine would not have the problems this thread talks about.
It is known as a durable engine.
It was the early 272 V6 and its V8 cousin that had these issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
...the local dealer Carlin and Gazzard to their credit put in an ESCULAD (which I'd never heard of)...
Esculad = misspelling of the word "escalate". They tried to escalate the issue with Mercedes...

My car is in the shop right now (US built 2006 R350 with M272) with the balance shaft sprocket issue. Waiting to see if Benz will do the right thing and cover under warranty...

·
Registered
2007 E550, 2007 GL450
480 Posts
Maddius,

Sounds like your dealer isn't too informed? This is a well-known issue with early M272 and M273 engines, as others have confirmed already on this thread. I had this repair done on my GL450 under warranty. BIG job, engine has to come out (V8). Thankfully, it seems my E550 was manufactured with the new parts.

Here is the technical bulletin, which gives more info as well as the engine serial numbers affected.

You can run your VIN here and get the engine serial number (as well as other good info)

Çàï÷àñòè Mercedes-Benz: Êàòàëîã îðèãèíàëüíûõ çàï÷àñòåé

Good luck, I would definitely follow through with corporate MB on this one...they should absolutely goodwill some or all of the repair.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts