Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E320 sports limitted edition
301 Posts
:eek: The very first MB I owned I put in cheap gas and the car was pinging. My mechanic told me to never use anything below what is stated by the manufacturer. No damage was done but it was only a half a tank. Ever since then I put the Premium stuff in my car. The highest price I paid for gas was $5.08 a gallon!! :mad: It has actually gone down to $4.69 a gallon so I don't see it going up at this time. I knew exactly what I was in for when buying each of the MB's I have owned. I know they are high maintenance, expensive to maintain if you are not a DIY but nevertheless it my choice to drive it. I treat my car like a child. It is always serviced when needed, well maintained and it cost money! For anyone who wants to drive a MB I say do your homework and know what you are getting yourself into. A friend drives a Honda Accord and wanted a used MB like mine and when I recommended the extended warranty she asked why? I told her why and when she found out that it is far different then her Honda to maintain she changed her mind, She is way too cheap to buy an extended warranty so not a fit for driving a German car. I will have to replace my O2 sensors soon and have new brakes and I am prepared to spend what I need to on it. It always behooves me that someone will buy a MB and expect to maintain it like a Toyota or Honda :surrender:

·
Registered
'98 E320 Wagon (non 4matic)
6,663 Posts
I say use what you want to use. Keep an independent mechanic in business. There is so much crap written on the subject that I could care less.

You want to save more money? Cut back on the meals out to restaurants to once a month. Cut back on the video games that yo buy to one a year. Cut back to going to the clubs to never. Cut back your cell phone plan to a call only instead of a text everything internet everything special.

Now you are saving some dough.

Come on people, I mean really, what is the monthly difference in Regular and Premium? Add it up! It might be what, $50? Start looking for real solutions and low hanging fruit is what I was always taught.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
When

I was a teen and high test was 103 octane(real octane) and cost(1967) 34cents a gallon and I ran a hopped up 1957 Chevy Belair convertible with 12.5 to 1 compression,it was an easy decision to choose high test.I valued the engine I built with my own 17 year old hands.41 years later it still is an easy choice,I value the engines I work on and like to drive.:thumbsup:
:bowdown:

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,476 Posts
I would like to make a suggestion.
For those, that would like to use regular in their V6 engines with well over 200 HP.
The proper way to do it would be lowering the compression. You can put double head gasket or even bore the head chamber.
This way instead of 230 HP you will have 180, but you'll be able to run on regular just fine.
Or better yet, buy 180HP Toyota and don't waste our time on this forum.

·
Registered
91 560SEL(RIP),98 E320matic 230k baby!,98 C230,93 500Ehurt,Rover crawler,97 Vulcan,01 R1,02suzukiTLR
55 Posts
I would like to make a suggestion.
For those, that would like to use regular in their V6 engines with well over 200 HP.
The proper way to do it would be lowering the compression. You can put double head gasket or even bore the head chamber.
This way instead of 230 HP you will have 180, but you'll be able to run on regular just fine.
Or better yet, buy 180HP Toyota and don't waste our time on this forum.
totally agree.....

·
Registered
99 SL500
80 Posts
Octane

This question is for the Mercedes Gods, Greg210 and Ohlord! I am curious about combining octane levels, ie. does 1/2 tank of 89 and 1/2 tank of 93 equal out to the required 91 octane? I've never done it, and I am not cheap enough to even try it, but curious enough to as the gurus!:D

Thanks!

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
It would

be close or fill with 93 and at half way point fill with 89 the next fill up,at least that would save time.:D
summertime in New England hot plus 100% humidity I would feed it the 93 and about 1/4 tank 89,maybe even 17% 89;)
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Assuming your tank is empty, 10 gallons of 89 + 10 of 93 = 91. The next time you fill up, you'll have to pull out the calculator or at 1/2 tank add 5 gallons of each. Is it worth it to save 50 cents? You be the judge.

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,488 Posts
Put all the questions of whether or not you will damage your engine aside for a moment, and focus on the OP's question at hand: will changing to regular from premium save me money? The answer is no. You aren't going to save an appreciable amount of money, and here is why:

As the article you cited clearly states, the lower octane will result in a loss of performance. So at any given RPM your engine is making less power than it would on the premium fuel. Since your car requires a fixed number of horsepower to achieve a certain speed you will have to use higher RPM under any circumstance in order to acheive the exact same speed as you did with the premium fuel. More RPMs means more fuel used. I've known people who have tried this on their own vehicles (and I wouldn't on mine) and have found that over the course of a few tanks of gasoline their MPG actually decreased.

So you're going to risk damage to your engine and catalytic converters and not save an appreciable amount of money. You could actually wind up spending more, depending on how aggressively your ECU dials the spark back in order to account for the lower octane.

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
...So you're going to risk damage to your engine and catalytic converters and not save an appreciable amount of money. You could actually wind up spending more, depending on how aggressively your ECU dials the spark back in order to account for the lower octane.
Good point jlomon. Based on your entire post, my guess is that using less than 91 octane fuel will cost any of us more, both short and long term.

·
Registered
99 SL500
80 Posts
Octane

No, I wouldn't be cheap enough to do it, I was just curious about octane, etc. Thanks ohlord! I knew you would know the answer!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
E-ZGO 53 HP., 99 E 430 sport, 04 E55 AMG, 2008 Tahoe LTZ Sold Porsche to Brother
1,906 Posts
Hi everyone I was reading an article on the web and it stated that premium gas only cars can run on regular gas. you'll just lose on perfomance. The knock sensor will handle everything else. Is this true can I get a conformation? Reason is of course everyone knows the price of Premium gas in CA is crazy $4.59 per gallon and climbing
The same is true of automobiles,
Mercedes uses Premium fuel MSRP $54,325.00
Hundai uses regular fuel MSRP $16,040.00
They both operate on same roads.
If saving money is important to you, a Mercedes Benz is the worst choice in that regard, far more money to be saved by purchasing a lesser automobile.

54K-16K=38,000 / $4.15= 9156 gallons X 24 MPG=219,744 miles (get it)

·
Registered
2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
3,488 Posts
The same is true of automobiles,
Mercedes uses Premium fuel MSRP $54,325.00
Hundai uses regular fuel MSRP $16,040.00
They both operate on same roads.
I don't know about every Hyundai model, but the Santa Fe SUV calls for premium fuel. The people I knew who tried the regular instead of premium thing own one. I know, what a surprise....

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,476 Posts
It is not the price of the engine/vehicle that matters, but the output to size ratio.
The famous 454 did run on regular, but 7.4 lite engine would develop 200 HP, or 240 in fuel injected model.
You have 200 lb engine pumping 230 HP and that comes with the price.
Just for comparison the 230 HP short block Ford PowerStroke weight 900 lb.

·
Registered
2008 C350 Sport Sedan
4 Posts
Can one tank of regular damage my engine or cause long term damage?

Does anyone think I need to be worried about running ONE tank of regular fuel through my engine? The idiot gas station attendant filled it with regular when I asked for premium...should I be worried if I never use regular again after I run though this tank of gas?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Hi Rameses75,

Not to worry. As it tells us in the owner's manuals just drive moderately while that regular is in your tank. I'd probably wait until you are about 1/2 empty then fill up with 93 if you can get it there (1/2 87 and 1/2 93 = 90, so pretty close to what you need plus you still had some premium in the tank when the mistake was made). If you don't have 93 there use 91.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
11,066 Posts
Does anyone think I need to be worried about running ONE tank of regular fuel through my engine? The idiot gas station attendant filled it with regular when I asked for premium...should I be worried if I never use regular again after I run though this tank of gas?
Where do you find gas stations with attendant ? It must be overseas (not USA)?

·
Premium Member
17,193 Posts
Where do you find gas stations with attendant ? It must be overseas (not USA)?
That reminds me: Rameses75 please go to the top of any of the Benzworld pages and look for the User CP (control panel). In there you will see how to create your profile with model, year, and location of you and your car. That info is sometimes very useful to others when you have a question or problem.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't just stop at using regular gas in your Mercedes.....save some real money....get your oil changed at Uncle Ed's Oil Shop, I read on the web that you can go 30,000 miles betreen changes, don't forget to get the house brand oil.....get your shocks and brakes at Midas (they are warrented for life).......Fisk or kelly makes some great tires.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.