Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I have a 2001 ML430 sport, USA spec. I've tried to put all that in my profile but can't figure out how. Sorry.

I asked this about the rear bumper, and the answer was that the wheel flares might not line up with the non sport bumper.

My question now is, will the mounting points line up for a non sport front bumper on a sport model? I ask because my daughter wrecked the front end. I found a sport left front fender locally, but all the bumpers local are non sport (the car with the fender has a bad bumper)

I can accept if the bumper doesn't quite line up with the fender flares, I just want to be sure the bumper will at least mount on the front as a simple bolt on.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,120 Posts
Greetings all. I have a 2001 ML430 sport, USA spec. I've tried to put all that in my profile but can't figure out how. Sorry.

I asked this about the rear bumper, and the answer was that the wheel flares might not line up with the non sport bumper.

My question now is, will the mounting points line up for a non sport front bumper on a sport model? I ask because my daughter wrecked the front end. I found a sport left front fender locally, but all the bumpers local are non sport (the car with the fender has a bad bumper)

I can accept if the bumper doesn't quite line up with the fender flares, I just want to be sure the bumper will at least mount on the front as a simple bolt on.

Thank you!
Go to your avatar click
scroll to account setting click
scroll to vehicles click enter info and save

If the bumper is not from pre 2000 the mounting points are the same. The main change (non sport/ sport) was the fog lights cat eye verses round. On earlier bumper there are only 6 attachment points later have at least 4 maybe 6 more.

2 behind grill
2 below air dam
2 behind fog lights 1 each side
4 going by memory here so a bit foggy at lower edge of well depends if you remove bracket from bumper or bracket from frame. 2 each side.
2 one each side upper wheel well ( this one is a pain)

On a sport difference may be behind fog light? But probably not.

If she damaged the bumper be sure to get all the brackets from the donor. We made that mistake had to take a second drive out to the yard to get the replacement for the damaged one on the current bumper. Normally not an issue but the donor ML was at a yard further away then normal 1 hour round trip.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,502 Posts
I believe someone on this forum (way way back...) actually did that. I don't recall the circumstances but he used his ML at shows. Due to the various mods he had done to the truck, he had to replace the sport front bumper with a non-sport type and he did it. I wish I could recall more - but it has been done successfully.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,120 Posts

·
Registered
ML 500 '02
546 Posts
Yeah well, the wife hit something. Then I hit something. Then the snow bank came and hit us!

Our's has parktronic and the washers. There's a lot of bits and pieces to the sport bumper.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Blutec | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 Sport Edition :( | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
901 Posts
Yeah well, the wife hit something. Then I hit something. Then the snow bank came and hit us!

Our's has parktronic and the washers. There's a lot of bits and pieces to the sport bumper.
I remember when I had to replace mine on my old ML, I got it as NOS from a MB of Austin. Was pristine and primed. Wonder if that shop still has it. It was $500 bucks and they drop shipped it to my body guy in OKC. Was 3-4 years ago now.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the replies. I'm just trying to do the repair on the cheap, because it's my teenage daughters first car and I suspect this wont be the last time I have to fix some bumps and scrapes. So I'm looking for the $40 junkyard solution. We found a fender and mounted it yesterday, the search continues for a bumper. Lots and lots of nice regular ones locally, not a single sport bumper to be found.

·
Registered
2015 ML250 Blutec | 2019 GLC 300 | Prev: | 2002 ML 500 Sport Edition :( | 2012 C250 | 1998 C230
901 Posts
Thank you for all the replies. I'm just trying to do the repair on the cheap, because it's my teenage daughters first car and I suspect this wont be the last time I have to fix some bumps and scrapes. So I'm looking for the $40 junkyard solution. We found a fender and mounted it yesterday, the search continues for a bumper. Lots and lots of nice regular ones locally, not a single sport bumper to be found.
Call Ronnie Lader @ MB Austin. He was the parts depot guy I got the NOS sport bumper from in 2014. That is, if you are okay with shelling out the $$ versus playing the long game to find one in half decent shape at the yard. LMK if you want his number

·
Registered
w163 02 ML500 W210 97 E50Amg w202 99 C230K w124 - need more space, time to build again
2,412 Posts
Side note - the materials they used for ALL these ML bumper covers, sport included, is cheap and brittle. Leaning on these "egg shells" can certainly crack them. Cracks can be repaired if done correctly. Anything more is a wasted effort. I've also seen one owner virtually use 2 layers of these auto body plastic wrap (clear) for both his front and rear bumper covers.
Same clear stuff I use on the front portion of the hoods for debris protection.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,120 Posts
Lots and lots of nice regular ones locally, not a single sport bumper to be found.
That is probably going to be the case anywhere in the US at least. They are a bit on the rare side, that's why the suggestion was made for an aftermarket one. Is your with or without Parktronic?

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,120 Posts
Please ad info to your avatar.
click on Aavatar
scroll to account setting, click
scroll down to vehicles type in and save.

Where that rubber stamp go, it was here somewhere I just had it a minute ago. Ah there it is how did it wind up floating in my 5gal pail of waste oil? Hate when that happens! Can someone order me a new one?

Bobby! Where is Bobby? Ah, Bobby you get that new set of stamps ordered yet?

·
Registered
ML 500 '02
546 Posts
Converting your bumpers isn't going to be a trivial thing. It's likely that you will have to obtain the bumper reinforcement, fog light mounts, fog lights, and left and right bumper brackets.

·
Registered
901 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,120 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts

1. You are correct they are available as a lot of other ml parts.The poster and I were referring to a 50.00 pick a part used bumper.

Ah yes. By the time it gets repaired, and you evaluate how it's faired in the past 20 years, honestly more economical to just bite the bullet and get the NOS one and then paint it. IMHO.

·
Registered
2003 ml500, 2004 ml350
1,120 Posts
Idaho is up
Ah yes. By the time it gets repaired, and you evaluate how it's faired in the past 20 years, honestly more economical to just bite the bullet and get the NOS one and then paint it. IMHO.

Some folks have more time on their hand then money in them (especially right now.)

I got 2 Pick a Part bumpers., to replace the bumpers, front and rear, that the previous owner hit everything in their path with. Paid 47 each, one had a small crack on the underside of upper portion of the grill opening. Fiber glass tape, JB Weld plastic bonder and a hour of time took care of that..

All I was trying to state is as the poster is finding out the sports bumpers are harder to find.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,502 Posts
I'm not sure this has been resolved yet but I went to carparts dot com and it looks like they have a replacement (w/round fog lights and without) for ~$300. Not sure if it's primed or not. May want to check it out if this is still an issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts