Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Outstanding Contributor
350SDL, '17 GLS450, "Grandpa's Roadster" Project Car
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been approached by a couple of members expressing interest in another order of performance rear sway bars.

For information, take a look at this thread: Performance rear sway bar

This bar fits W126 cars without the anti-squat rear suspension (see above link for information on identifying the type you have) with or without SLS hydraulic rear suspension.

The last order came in at $255 each including shipping in the continental US. At that time I was also able to supply the Lemforder steel sway bar links for $9.00 each and special u-bolts fro SLS at $5.00, no additional shipping. I will look into doing that again.

i am not making any real money off this, so I need 10 firm orders before I can justify placing an order from the factory. Please reply here or PM me if you are interested!

·
Registered
90 420SEL, 00 BMW X5, 00 Lexus RX300, 01 Chrysler Town and Country
486 Posts
Count me in for one set, John. Can you provide the rubber bushings too. I am sure mine are dry rotted or worn. Mine is a 1990 420SEL.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bar comes with new (larger) bushings. I also suggest getting steel sway bar links to replace the composite ones used in the W126. It looks like I will be able to supply them (Lemfoerder) for $9.50 each with no additional shipping cost. Also, if you have SLS you should get the larger u-bolt for about $5.00.

Confirm your car does not have the Anti-squat rear.

Then, pm me your name and email so I can keep you up to date and figure out how many distinct interested parties we have.

·
Registered
486 Posts
John, My car is a 1990 420SEL with no SLS. And I would need the links for sure. I have already pm'd you my email id.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not to beat a dead horse, but, have you confirmed you don't have anti-squat? Not the same as SLS).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Maybe somebody can help me here. It is a 1990 420SEL (Gen II). Looking at the prior post you provided a link to and pictures therein, it appears to me that the cars with Anti Squat have a sort of latticed/honeycombed control arm. Mine does not - the rear control arm is solid -not honeycombed.

But I would be more comfortable if somebody could opine on this. VIN is WDBCA35E9LA552240

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Not honeycombed should be not anti squat.

To avoid confusion, look at how the sway bar attaches to the wheel hub. If it is by a nylon link with ball ends, you're good to go. If the bar is flat for most of it's length fore and aft and attaches directly to a fitting on the wheel hub with two bolts, it is anti-squat.

Anti-squat:

Not anti-squat:

Composite link:

·
Registered
486 Posts
John, Confirmed. My car does not have anti-squat. It has a nylon link with ball ends

·
Registered
1984 500SEC AMG 5.4
635 Posts
Will these ever be made for a Gen I, definitely interested if they are.

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I am working on it. There are some technical issues that need to be worked through. Don't hold your breath, though.

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
5,459 Posts
I am working on it. There are some technical issues that need to be worked through. Don't hold your breath, though.
As a pre-emptive statement here.. I'll say the 19mm Anti-Squat bar that John is working on will be worth it.
A 19mm rear bar flattens the turns considerably in my experience...

M

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
OK, here's where we stand:

Hugo2648 for one
Kompressor323 for one, plus 3 (or is it 4) more, possibly.
Christy 420SE for one.

So, somewhere between 3 and 7...

Please make sure I have, by PM, your name and email address. If you can commit to more than one, I need to know how many. If you are interested in more than one bar, there may be some shipping economies available.

Once we get close to the required number, I will be asking for a deposit for each bar; in the past it has been $100 each and, baring a huge price increase from the vendor, I expect it will be the same. When I have 10 deposits I will finalize the price and place the order. Deposits are 100% refundable up to the time I place the order. Shipments usually follow within about 4 weeks. I think it was a little longer last time as it was the start of life with COVID.

·
Premium Member
1985 300D, 1991 560SEL
149 Posts
I'll be sending you a PM. I've just fitted Bilstein HD shocks to the front of my 1991 560SEL and now the rear feels 'fluffy' by comparison. Would love this upgrade.

·
Registered
1988 Mercedes 500 sec
778 Posts
ok thanks i know you were looking into this while back did you manage to get hold of an anti squat bar

·
Outstanding Contributor
3,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, I have everything I need except a car with one installed, and free time.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts