Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks all guys replied on my previous post about ths AC freon.
Finally I found an adapter for the valve now. If I want to pump R135 into my car, I know some of you said it won't be as cold as R12, but at leaset it's would be ok for the summer in Cal right?
My question is that do I have to release all the freon left in the system, or can I just add more R135 into it?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
and it's R134a..I'm not sure what R135 is;-)

If you want your AC to work really well use propane. That's my plan the next go around.

Jonathan

·
Registered
Two '87 570SECs, one '87 560SEL
4,448 Posts
Propane (R390) is supposed to be great, but I remember a concern that the right lubricant was used or the compressor would fail. A thread on mbcoupes.com went through the use of R390 in great detail.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
true, but any refirgerant not having the correct oil will cause compressor failure.

I'm sure the info as to what oil works in R390 (thanks, didn't know the designation) is available all over the web.

Jonathan

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
One of the concerns was not only that the correct lubricant was used for R390, but I seem to remember a concern over mixing lubricants. Something about whether R12 or R134a lubricant is in the system when R390 and its lubricant is added. Anyway, the mbcoupes archives have the specifics.

Good luck and keep us informed!! I'm in Las Vegas and would be very interested in hearing how well it works for you since summers here get all the way to HOT. My SEC is an R12 machine and the SEL is now R134a and it is supposed to be in the 90s by this weekend. I have a new fan clutch for the SEC but don't know if I'll need a new clutch for the SEL.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
theboss - 5/11/2005 3:16 PM

propane is explosively flameable

driving with propange in vehicle airconditioning system is like being a sucide bomber...
tell that to the 10 if not 100's of thousands of people driving around on the stuff! A couple of pounds of propane is not going to turn me into some Hamas impersonator!

Jonathan

·
AMG Forums Moderator
SLK55 (2006) C36 (1995)
3,288 Posts
I've got R134 in my car now, i hate it. I drive around riverside a lot (SoCal), and it takes forever for the A/C to start cooling the car if it's been sitting. With R12, the A/C would start cooling almost immediately.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Eddie,
I put a new engine fan clutch on the SEC today (bought from Rusty for about $150) and I'm VERY interested to see how well it improves cooling. It's about twice the "stiffness" of the old clutch. Bob C put a new clutch on his '91 SEC and '87 560SL, and said there was a noticeable improvement in engine cooling but didn't mention A/C effectiveness.

I'm hoping that it will move enough air through the radiators while stopped/slow that the A/C works noticeably better in traffic. My '87 SEL has the R134a system and it does its job about the same as the '87 SEC R12 filled system. Both suck when the car is under 10 mph. It's supposed to be in the 90's later this week, so I should have a good test.

Stay Tuned,
Mike R.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
theboss,

can you help me to find where the filter is?
I was asking this question a while ago because I guess there must be one somewhere but no response at that time.

Thanks

cyberdrakon,
Yeah, summer is comming. This is one of the reasons why I want to pump something there if posible. As you said, I should not do it huh. Right now, my car is not that cold but is still a little cool after couple mins of driving.

thanks all

=============

man.. my thread always turn into something else hoho

·
Registered
12-Camel TT S600
1,794 Posts
well u can drop in any after market filter / accumulator with the right fittings and flow rate...

the orignal one one most benzo's is Denso

check at www.densoaftermarket.com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts