Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2011 GLK,2007 S550,2003 S55,2008 CLK,2009 C300,1996 E300,2005 E320,2002 E3
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas:
Over 10 years ago we had a very interesting discussion about the use of the search function.
There will be new people that sign onto benzworld throughout the year. Many of them are to new, or possibly to lazy to use the search feature which is actually OK. The reason that I say that, is there is almost no NEW post daily that has not already been discussed in years prior. It doesnt matter what the topic is, we have already discussed it before. If we continue to tell people to use the search button, there will actually be nothing else to talk about because technically its has already been archived somewhere on Benzworld, and to be honest---the search feature does not always point a person in the right direction due to the many posts on a particular subject. Some posts may have 15 pages of stuff, and none which answer the question. I am sure ALL OF US old school benzworld veterans have posted a question that has already been posted 20 times before, yet someone takes the time to answer it. Thats what makes Benzworld one of the nicest car tech forums online.
So if someone posts something that you dont want to answer, or felt has already been discussed, either enjoy the question, answer the question, or click on the next posted topic. Its helping no one by saying use the search button. We need newbies to come on board to replace the retired veterans, and it keeps things fresh with different opinons by having old topics with different answers being posted.

·
Registered
05 C215 CL 500, 96 SL 500 PANO,96 W124 220CE,03 Smart 450 Cabrio, 96 W124 220CE, 07 Ford Transit!
431 Posts
Hear hear! although i read every single, and i mean every single post on the forum, all the horror stories, leaking cylinders etc before i bought my car, I'm still here because unlike every other motoring forum, this one doesn't seem to be full of a**holes. We all share a common bond - our ridiculous obsession with one particular car ( and I must say mine is looking pretty shiny right now):thumbsup:

·
Registered
'03 SL Kleemann, 1997 SL320 Pano Top, Tesla Model X
661 Posts
Let's keep Benzworld excellent!

Thats what makes Benzworld one of the nicest car tech forums online.
Right on! I am spending thousands of Dollars a year in sponsoring Benzworld, and it is as much a personal decision as a business decision. I like this site because it is informative, and it usually helps people out with prompt advice kindly presented.

Keep in mind, giving equals happiness...

... and the more posts, the more some of us insomniacs stay entertained!

:)

·
Registered
1991 500SL V8 NEOKEN modified T/B. 2000 F350 4x4 V10. 1995 SL500
201 Posts
Because of the way people word things the search function is difficult to find the exact thing person may be looking for. Out of 10 searches I may get one or two relavent to what I'm look for. But I agree what a dull site it would be if everyone found what they needed through the search. The way it is, is why it has that family feel to it. Helping others on a daily basis. I love it.

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
I have never found anything useful using the search function. The Blue Sticky's are fantastic and do everything you need for the most part. I like to hash things over with my forum brothers and sisters even though it may have been discussed in the past.

·
Registered
"NEW OWNER" of a 1991 SL 500 weekend toy. Hope I don't go broke maintaining it!
600 Posts
I have never found anything useful using the search function. The Blue Sticky's are fantastic and do everything you need for the most part. I like to hash things over with my forum brothers and sisters even though it may have been discussed in the past.
I beg your indulgence as a relative "newbie" - but some of those "Stickies" are obsolete.

For example - excellent threads - and I have read many word for word, have the video and photo links that have long been disconnected.

Once the url's no longer point to the pictorials - it causes the thread to loose its most valuable asset (in my humblest of opinions bowing down to the veterans here).

·
Registered
1995 SL500
169 Posts
Thanks Giving

This is an excellent site. Trying searching in other sites or other Forums to compare. Thank you Financial supporters, Thank you Moderators. Thank you to other members who are willing to answer questions. I have saved thousands of dollars because of this site restoring my SL. When searching an issue its wonderful to know you are not alone. This day I am Giving Thanks to all of our members.:bowdown:

·
Registered
2007 CLS 550, 1998 Harley Road King, 2011 F-150 EcoBoost, '65 Shelby Cobra
978 Posts
This is an excellent site. Trying searching in other sites or other Forums to compare. Thank you Financial supporters, Thank you Moderators. Thank you to other members who are willing to answer questions. I have saved thousands of dollars because of this site restoring my SL. When searching an issue its wonderful to know you are not alone. This day I am Giving Thanks to all of our members.:bowdown:
Here, here!:thumbsup: However you want to get an answer, just do it here. "Post it and they will come".

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,840 Posts
I agree that the search engine can be a bit of a pain, and sometime infuriating.

For instance look up MAF, and it returns a message that words should contain more than three letters

·
Registered
2000 Obsidian Black Metallic Mercedes SL 320 V6
4,527 Posts
benge I totally agree with you. Actually this is not only a forum or simply an internet site but in my humble opinion it's a real family:) As some of you know I sold my R129 more than three years ago and I'm still here almost every day reading every single post and when I can't I try toi catch up. I also met a few fellow members last year and I'm happy and proud I did :D.

Guys you are the best :D.

Cheers.

·
Registered
SL-LESS (for now) and 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Executive
270 Posts
As many parts of the SL followed the natural evolution of renewing into electronic modules i don't think that everything about the SL "as whole" is covered yet.
And therefore not always a part of the search function, i agree with the above:
If you do have a question? Do ask them! I they are already fimiliar within the forum they should come forward, if not (especially the newer SL's) please do ask them and you most probably will get an answer from an experienced forum member.

·
Registered
Sold1990 500sl - 1992 300sl 1999 sl 500
1,545 Posts
This far and away the best forum,full of most helpful advise and helpful people :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts