Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a 2ndhand C36 from a friend and the alloys have perished slightly. It appears that the protective lacquer is gone in parts of all of the wheels and there's some nasty, silverish corrosion as a result. None of the alloys has been scratched or kerbed, it just seems to have collected around the inside edges of the rims.<p>I'd like to get this crud removed, for obvious reasons! What are my alternatives? Can they be refurbished, do they need repainting (or whatever), do I need new wheels? Plus the hardest part - how much should I pay.....?<p>Thanks in advance for your help. I love the C36 - makes me feel invincible - although more "fluid" handling would be nice. But that's about it for drawbacks. What a great car.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds like they just need a repaint/refinish. There are companies that advertise wheel repair/refinishing in the classified section of major automotive magazines, like AutoWeek, etc. I would guess it'll cost you around $100/wheel plus shipping both ways.<p>You can do a search on Yahoo! for "Wheel refinishing" to find a few companies. I've heard of Rennsport, but have no experience with them.<p>Also, if you do need one or more new wheels, the AMG Monoblock Styling II from the C36/C43 isn't extremely expensive (compared to other M-B/AMG parts). They cost about $320 each from TireRack.com or EliteOne.com.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
: Sounds like they just need a repaint/refinish. There are companies that advertise wheel repair/refinishing in the classified section of major automotive magazines, like AutoWeek, etc. I would guess it'll cost you around $100/wheel plus shipping both ways.<p>You can do a search on Yahoo! for "Wheel refinishing" to find a few companies. I've heard of Rennsport, but have no experience with them.<p>Also, if you do need one or more new wheels, the AMG Monoblock Styling II from the C36/C43 isn't extremely expensive (compared to other M-B/AMG parts). They cost about $320 each from TireRack.com or EliteOne.com.<p>Repainting wheels isn't a long lasting option (especially not when you're going to use the AMGer in a way it is sold for). Buying new wheels is a better option and taking the quality of the original mercedes wheels into account, you are far better of buying some good imitations. I own a 93 C250D with 17" alloy and 340.000km in it's past. I have owned original mercedes wheels and several imitations and I must say that the imitations lasted longer then the originals. Every spring I buy myself a new set of wheels and sell the old set.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had mine done by:<br>TruWheel<br>7312 Laurel Canyon Blvd<br>North Hollywood, CA 91505<br>800/FIX A RIM www.fixarim.com<p>Cost for 4 was $550, they do excellent work

1 - 4 of 4 Posts