Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
91 MB 420sel, 93 190E 2.6
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Used 3M Di-noc. I am very impressed with the quality of the material. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
I was curious as to the results that could be achieved with that 3M product
Looks nice. Not factory, but quite nice nonetheless!

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Looks nice. Looks real. Not bad for film. How well did it conform to corners?

·
Registered
1968 gto (sold) , 91 volvo 740, 89 $300TE, 89 560SEC
432 Posts
Looks good! I think you just "solved" my wood issue in my $300te. Many thanks for the post and the pics.

John

·
Registered
'83 380SEC AMG'ed euro, '92 500SL, '91 190e 2.6 5-speed
2,389 Posts
Di-noc is amazing stuff and it conforms to corners/edges like nothing else. I've never seen the wood application but they make a carbon fiber variant that looks spot on. The adhesive qualities are wild, you have to scrape/heat it off.

Looks nice, I like the satin finish.

·
Banned
1987 560sel AMG: Custom Suspension, AMG Body Kit, EURO Mods, Diplomat MB Curtains
472 Posts
Hey, that looks very professional.
Sport on!

Now, kind of OT....but while were on the topic off wood refurb, I am anxious to try this:

Swissvax wood polish.
Swissvax USA: Wood Polish, 50 ml - Carnauba wax for fine wood

This link shows a 560sl PROFESSIONAL 4 DAY DETAIL, in which you can SEE THE RESULTS OF THIS PRODUCT
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm81/scheerspeed11/detail2/03f8b595.png&imgrefurl=http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492379&usg=__Utav6biPieBz6duRrII8PUb1R94=&h=682&w=1023&sz=860&hl=en&start=4&zoom=1&tbnid=-fvgxdVsuUF0EM:&tbnh=100&tbnw=150&ei=3FEbUIj8A8LCigLjpIHoAg&prev=/search?q=swissvax+wood+polish+mercedes&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&sa=X&rls=en&tbm=isch&prmd=ivnsfd&itbs=1
I know that I was leary of Swissvax due to their seemingly high prices, but I ordered their metal polish/chrome polish for a classic coupe deville, and it WORKED WONDERS. The tub was only 50ml in size, but their products Spread Very nicely, and their products go ALONG ways...

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I like it better than stock. The high gloss finish that stock comes with is a little much, imo. This is more real looking.

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,342 Posts
thats not real wood??????? dayyyymmmm

·
Registered
1990 W124 200E (daily driver), 1988 C126 560SEC (weekend fun)
104 Posts
The result is really impressive.
I must also admit that i didn't notice it isnt real wood,
actually thats the best imitation i've ever seen.
But these need to be tested under sun for some before it becomes
our ultimate cracked/faded wood solution..

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,949 Posts
Dinoc will have a matte finish. It will last for years, my friend has Di Noc on the EXTERIOR of his car without fading, the interior would be fine

The better, ultimate solution that doesnt involve wood refinishing is water transfer/hydrographic

Cloak Surface Coatings - Home
this company will do it for you if you ship the parts

I have this done in colored wood in my Range Rover and cadillac.

You can get the glossy finish like real wood trim or a matte finish, with many more wood color choices than vinyl wrap.... and it will withstand scratches better than vinyl wrap.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I've been doing some research on Di-noc... surprisingly affordable. Were you able to do it with just one of the standard 48x12 inch sheets? Someone needs to cover their entire dash with the stuff. I wrote that as a joke, but visualizing it, I could see it looking badass... or absolutely ridiculous. Most likely the latter.

·
Registered
2004 Acura TL, 1999 GMC Yukon
1,658 Posts
Looks like great stuff! The wood in my car is peeling, and the wood surrounding the HVAC controls is getting badly warped, but I'd hate to do anything to ruin the German label-sticker under the HVAC controls. For me thats a project to wait till last.

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,949 Posts
Keep in mind that any raised cracks / imperfections will need to be smoothed out before applying di noc. Otherwise they will show through the vinyl

·
Registered
91 MB 420sel, 93 190E 2.6
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actually, it looks even better in real life. I used a standard 48x12 sheet and have a little bit left over. You have to make sure that the surface is smooth or it will show. Also, you will need a heat gun (or a very powerful hair dryer). The application itself is very simple. I hope it holds up as long as it is supposed to.

·
Registered
1988 420 SEL about 52,000 mileage
354 Posts
I like the mat finish. I've often thought that a ebony stain would look nice with my light gray interior and black pearl exterior. Have a little cracking on my gear console but not bad and no hurry to decide. Thanks for the information!

·
Registered
1989 560SEL, 1979 Cressida MX32, 2006 F150 Lariat
1,510 Posts
I was going to go this route but decided to try real veneer instead and see how it turns out. I bought some vinyl to experiment with but ended up being the wrong color and was to glossy although the shifter wood did turn out good it did not match anything else and as mentioned above the surface needs to be very clean and free from any dirt and debris or it will show.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts