Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Hi mates,

a piece of info before we all jump into refinishing the wood.

I finished my job and yesterday went for long a trip. This morning I look proudly at my work and voila! the console where all the A/C controls are (center console?) looks horrible: varnish starting to flake and as if it was melting...

Conclusion: Had my lights on (which lights the small bulbs in the center console) and heating also for a short period. This is too much heat for the polyurethene varnish... It flakes and starts to 'melt'.

Before I rush into ordering the center console from somewhere with that famous plasctic refinish any suggestions?

Thanks
Oh that's aggravating after all your work.
Got pix?
I have had no such problem with the marine varnish I used.

·
Registered
300sl 1987
813 Posts
There it goes:

Notice the flaking on the left hand side and the 'melting' all around. It got so soft you can clearly see the GPS suction thingy shaped the varnish...

Today I started again with boat varnish. Will see...

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Notice the flaking on the left hand side and the 'melting' all around. It got so soft you can clearly see the GPS suction thingy shaped the varnish...

Today I started again with boat varnish. Will see...

]
Geez, Bereng, you must have had a fire behind the dash.
You talked earlier about how you could dent the finish with fingernail pressure. That, and this latest failure make me think your poly never did cure properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
can you tell me how to remove the strips that run along with the glove box strip? I repaid my glove box strip, now it is darker than the others. I have searched and found conflicting instructions. Thanks

41 - 44 of 44 Posts