Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda feeling post-new-topic happy today, sorry, but has anyone ever successfully refinished dingy old bundts to new by sandblasting and clearcoating them? I have 2 sets of bundts, BOTH are in bad shape. My new 240d has steel rims withthe hubcaps on it and i wanted to run the bundts on it. I thought of coarse sandblasting them, then spray a satin clearcoat on it. Sounds do-able or what? Has anyone done this before? I just wanna get rid of the brake dust stains, peeling chrome, and oxidation. Thanks guys!

Chad

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
crap, I double posted and don't know how to delete this. This is a damn slow website and why i double posted this topic...

·
Registered
573 Posts
Must be hundreds of threads on this.

I have refinished two sets. By hand I sanded each wheel. I think I used 1,000 or 1,500grit we/dry paper. Feather in the chips. Paint the wheels Astal Silver and clear coat. That’s all there is to it. They will look great. Also prepare and paint the center cap to ensure a perfect match.
I have been warned about using a paint stripper. But, other folks have used chemical strippers without problems. If you sand blast use a soft plastic bead.

Have at it,
Zill.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts