Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda feeling post-new-topic happy today, sorry, but has anyone ever successfully refinished dingy old bundts to new by sandblasting and clearcoating them? I have 2 sets of bundts, BOTH are in bad shape. My new 240d has steel rims withthe hubcaps on it and i wanted to run the bundts on it. I thought of coarse sandblasting them, then spray a satin clearcoat on it. Sounds do-able or what? Has anyone done this before? I just wanna get rid of the brake dust stains, peeling chrome, and oxidation. Thanks guys!

Chad

·
Registered
160 Posts
If it's just stains, peeling chrome and oxidation they are easily fixable, proffessionals do stuff like that all the time. If you're thinking of doing all the work by your self you should first call a paint workshop that does this as their one and only thing. Ask them what method they have and what type of paint they are using etc, get as much info out of them as you can without telling them that you're not going to be their customer (who knows, they might get all mute).

Ask them also to which place they send their rims when they need sandblasting, and then you call that company up and ask them what type of sand they're using. To start up a conversation, you tell them that someone told you they needed to be sandblasted with glass balls so to not eff up the surface. Then they will tell you that you could do it with glass but it will be unnessesarilly expensive and it won't make any difference, or even be as good as really fine sand, and bla bla bla.

As a messure, I've been quoted prices of ~28€ per rim for blast, and another 28€ for painting (no taxes or receits). It's probably cheaper on your side.

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
As rockwool mentioned, don't use sand. The place I bought mine from used walnut shells, that's what they told me anyway. Griotsgarage.com has products for this purpose. Should be able to find someone to media blast them, then maybe you take over.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts