Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been reading the encyclopedia and other posts reguarding the reed valve clogging.. I cleaned mine when I bought the car two months ago and tonight it started to fill again.. I am not sure how high it got, but I don't think it got too bad as I just washed the car.. it didn't clog, but it piled up and drained slowly.. it took about an hour to drain.. It wasn't enough to get into the car, I checked the pass. floor panel.. but I was curious; I couldn't find this anywhere.. where in the dish under the hood is the actual intake for the air/heat? Does it have any kind of protection? I can't see it just being wide open.. I realize the filters are there to catch any small amounts of water but is there a rubber outlet or anything? Just curious as to how it works.. thanks!

·
Registered
930 Posts
The intake in right near where the water is. You can see it hooded underneath the grates where the reed valve would be.

You might need to stick a pipe cleaner down that reed valve hole to make sure it's as clear as it could be.

Also, I've drilled/cut out a hole on the side of the plastic housing to let water out if it gets too high.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, but is the intake on the side where the water pools up or the side where the bottom of the dish slants up? Is there a trap door or something to block water from entering car? I can't see it just being opened.. How much water does it take to enter the car? Also I was told not to drill a hole on the bottom as water will pool up under the intake and rust.. if you drill hole there is a special place on the side..

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm at work so I can't look at my car but I believe there are 3 or 4 tabs on the outer edge of the grate covering that box. Push these in and the grate just pulls off. With the grate removed you can easily see down in there, remove any large debris, and do a general cleaning. I notice that I'm much more vigilant now and find myself removing every little leaf from the vehicle when I see it. This is a good thing. I was reluctant to drill any holes and feel now that it's not necessary.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I'll check it out, but I am wondering how easy it is for water to actually get in.. I would guess the intake is on the higher side, as if the car is in heavy rain even with a free flowing valve it would start filling up.. I can't see it being just an open hole to the filters.. but then again who knows..

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
10,861 Posts
I genuinely do not know why MB decided on the reed valve; I know the hose that connects to the valve can get pinched (mine was completely folded under when I bought my '00).

The air intake vent itself does not have much "protection "- I believe it opens inward, so isn't too exposed; plus, there are the filters near the console, but they don't do anything for water.

Some of the Encyclopedia links have recommended drilling an extra hole, and suggested where.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I guess I will just have to check this pile-o-crap everytime I wash my car.. I can't believe a 100k dollar car can flood from a little rain and they haven't completely redesigned this.. They should have redesigned this box and replaced it.. But like everything else in life.. this new generation is nothing but idiots who don't complain about anything so everything will just keep getting worse a small step at a time..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts