Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Reduce oil level' malfunction message came on in my 2001 C320, had oil change done at 4500km, and now have<br>
5200km on car, phoned service<br>
manager in Calgary, told me it is ok as this range of v6<br>
engines tend to hold oil in cylinder head for long time, must let them drain for a least 20 mins, so if anyone gets this dash message this is what its all about, further i was told that MB now has gone totally to synthetic oil, for year round use on c series to use 15/40<br>
any comments on my post?<p>netcache-1115.public.svc.webtv.net

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
!!!!!!liar-liar!

WHat does 'oil holding at the cyl head' have<br> to do with TOO HIGH oil level indicated by the<br> above message??????????<br> <br> Either you have oil level sensor faulty, which<br> indeed was a serious issue in M112 engines<br> but i believe it was fixed from beg. of the Y2000,<br> or your oil is mixing with some other fluid <br> somehow. It could be coolant, fuel or anything.<br> <br> Have this checked IMMEDIATELY at the dealer<br> because it can lead to permanent damage to the<br> various components. And even if it is only<br> stupid sensor, it's always good to have<br> reliable oil level reading, eh?<br> <br> Guy who told you such a b*shit should be fired<br> out of job.<br> <br> Apart from this, on the warmed up engine,<br> 5 minutes is sufficient to drain 95% of the<br> oil back to the sump. I don't know what<br> do you get in the manuals, but here in Europe<br> it is even mentioned in the owners handbook.<br> As for the oil i'm unable to answer as in<br> european countries MB recommended synth<br> oil like Mobil1 5W50 for many years ago,.<p>PSYCHOP

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: !!!!!!liar-liar!

just to make sure i phoned the service dept of MB calgary dealer about this problem again, and have been assured that all is well, especially as that malfunction message has not appeared again, one thing you mention is that 95% of oil would drain back to sump, the other 5% will tend not to drain right away, it is this 5% that supposedly gives the malfunction reading. anyway thanks for your input.has anyone else had this problem??

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: !!!!!!liar-liar!

I had a repetitive oil-over-filled message on my 2001 C-240. Started a couple months after I gave the car the first (not on FSS schedule) oil change, and I got a failure alert maybe once a week for a month - typically late at night, after driving a half hour or so.<br> <br> I asked the dealer to look into it when I had the car in on another problem, and they replaced the oil quantity/ quality sensor. I think they spilled oil on teh exhaust - it smells pretty bad, but the bright red warning on the dash hasn't come back on so far (two weeks nd counting)<br> <br> Cheers,<br> <br> Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts