Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'01 C240 EU spec [w203] fully loaded except linguatronic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've newly (like 5 days ago) replaced the engine oil, and when I drive like half an hour slowly in the city in pops up the red warning message "REDUCE ENGINE OIL LEVEL". I've entered the dyno mode, started to drive and the oil level was between 6.5 and 8.2 litters, what can be the cause of this? When the car is stand still it shows 7.6-7.7 litters.

I've read in the forums that normal level for 2001-Nov C240 EU Spec car was 8 litters (8.5 quarts) and now they've changed it to 7.5 liters (8 quarts) is that correct information?

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
the correct amount oil for your car is listed in the Owner's manual.

·
Registered
2002 C240, 1972 R107 (350SL)
82 Posts
When you did your oil service, did you completely drain all of your old oil from the oilpan before adding the new oil?
If you have a oil dipstick measure tool, this will probably give you the most accurate reading. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When you did your oil service, did you completely drain all of your old oil from the oilpan before adding the new oil?
If you have a oil dipstick measure tool, this will probably give you the most accurate reading. Good luck.
I don't have a tool and the dealer which serviced the car opened a small screw in the bottom of the car, it should be engine carter, then we wait like 20 minutes for a complete spill, then added new oil.

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
Some W203's have only electronic oil measurement (via sensor), no dipstick.
Some W203's have both electronic measurement and dipstick.
Some W203's have only dipstick, no electronic oil measurement.

OP seems to have just the electronic oil measurement. In this case, other than relying on the sensor, the only way to know for sure how much oil is in the engine is to remove the oil via draining in to a container and then pouring the oil back in to the engine via measured containers (like an empty qt jug).

Or OP can borrow the dipstic from similar engine and measure the oil level manually.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had this problem before.
To solve the problem, drive the car until it is warm and park on a level ground and measure oil level to meet the right level as defined in the manual. If it is too much (must be), then suck the oil out by a vacuum pump approximately the amount that it overfilled.
Then repeat the process until the oil level meets the specification.
My car also has the electronic oil measuring stuff. After the problem is solved, you may want to double check with a dip stick. If the car is old, the sensor can be off..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[SOLVED]

OK, I guess the problem is solved, I've drained about 400ml out. I'll report here if any problems will come out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts