Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently done a side by side test of ATF's in the '80 280GE manual four speed tranny, driving each for a thousand miles or so.

My original manual states "ATF" for the gearbox fluid (I know Dutch specified something more detailed than that, but I can't track it down anywhere).

So, I initially started with the Redline Synthetic ATF. After a 1,000 miles, changed it out to the D4 ATF (for manual transmissions).

RESULTS??--- The D4 ATF had a VERY noticeably smoother shifting, and it may be my imagination, but it also seemed to run a tad bit quieter as well.

Cheers,
Patrick

·
Registered
1993 Range Rover Classic/ like to add 300GD LWB......
82 Posts
Hey.... You need to go to Redline MTL. It is specifically designed for manual transmissions! Redline ATF doesn't count!

·
Registered
'04 G55 '80 280GE '99 S420 '98 E320 2011 E350 2016 GLA250
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried the ATF products, and how do they compare to the MTL?

·
Registered
1993 Range Rover Classic/ like to add 300GD LWB......
82 Posts
I have a 96 Discovery 5-speed. It suggests that ATF is required in the Transmission. After being on several Land Rover Forums, it was discovered that there was a land rover bulletin, renouncing the use of ATF in the manual transmission. Most of the guys that have heard about it(including me), installed Redline MTL(Manual Transmission lubricant). It most defiantly,shifts better, and much smoother. The oil is 70W80.

However this is only a suggestion. I only want to pose the question if Land Rover was wrong about what to put in the transmisson, maybe there is another solution. Just something to look into thats all.

·
Registered
85 300GD 83 300TD
978 Posts
Redlline D4 ATF is designed for manual gearboxes requiring ATF. It works great, I have run it for many years in Mercedes manual transmissions. They shift great and run cool. If you look at the Redline literature it goes into detail about the attention to providing the correct friction in the oil to help the syncros hook up but keep them from wearing.

MTL is a higher viscosity oil that is also superb but might be a little heavy for the application. I think it would be the right thing in a high milage or a box that was a little worn but for a new or tight unit the D4 ATF is the best out there I have found. I run MTL in a Getrag manual 5 speed in a Dodge Cummins 4X4 that sees severe service. It is the right stuff in there. I suspect MTL would work fine in a G manual box but might be a little thick in the winter time.

-Dai

1 - 5 of 5 Posts