Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was up in the High Sierras (a VERY remote area)the other day and stopped at a gas station and loaded up diesel on my 1980 240d. After I had already gassed her up, the gas station attendant threw a fit. Apparently I had used red-dye diesel, which is for heavy machinery.... I could have been fined $1000 just for using it on my street car. Some old mountain man told me not to worry, it would probably make my car run better.<br>
<br>
I already had a half tank, so the red-dye diesel must have mixed with the good stuff already inside. <br>
<br>
Everything seemed OK, then I went camping for a few days. When I started the car again, it seemed a bit slower than usual, and the acceleration would bounce back and forth at low rpms. This could have just been the car doing something unrelated to the red-dye diesel, and the problem wasn't really that bad. I drove it 250 miles home with no problems. I have sinced filled up a few times with normal diesel and had no reoccurance of the problem. <br>
<br>
What is the deal with this red-dye gas? Is it terrible for my engine or does it not matter?<br>
<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Red dye diesel is the same as the green dye diesel, it's just cheaper because there is no road tax on the fuel. The reason that you experienced the sputtering is most likly because the tank was old and water had leaked into the fuel. Another posibility is that the Cetane rating is about 35, instead of the normal 47. This is not bad for the car, it's just harder to run on. Nothing to worry about in either case. Just don't fill up there again.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: Dye Diesel

'in the name of god'<br> Dear sir<br> due to one project i need some information about <br> 'GREEN DYE' useful for fuel please tell me about<br> chemical name & color index (CI No.) <br> BEST REGARDS<br> SAEED IRANPOUR<br> JAHADEDANESHGAHI<br> TEHRAN UNIVERSITY<br> P.O.BOX:13145-1393<br> TEHRAN-IRAN

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Dye Diesel

'in the name of god'<br> Dear sir<br> due to one project i need some information about <br> 'GREEN DYE' useful for fuel please tell me about<br> chemical name & color index (CI No.) <br> BEST REGARDS<br> SAEED IRANPOUR<br> JAHADEDANESHGAHI<br> TEHRAN UNIVERSITY<br> P.O.BOX:13145-1393<br> TEHRAN-IRAN

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.