Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1988 260E
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was driving my '88 260E yesterday when suddenly the front dome light came on, seat-belt warning light started flashing, and door-locks and radio power antenna stopped working. Checked the fuses and the red "C" fuse is blown. I replaced it and it immediately blew again.

I pulled each of the light trigger switches in each door and trunk and all wiring was connected and looked good. I tried replacing the fuse once more and it held briefly and I was able to lock/unlock the doors again a couple times and then the fuse flew.

When everything was still working correctly I recall that there was a delay before the dome light switched off and the seat belt warning light went out. Is it possible that there is a faulty relay somewhere. Can anyone tell me where the relay may be located? I checked the relays in the fuse box under the hood and it's not there.

·
Registered
89 300E; 00 E320
2,515 Posts
Sounds like a short circuit to me, maybe like an exposed wire going to/through the door or something like that. I hope you find and fix quickly.

You found this fuse box:Fuse Circuit List 103 104

Here are some of the relays you ask about - this relay box is right behind the fuse box, closed with screws: Fuse/Relay Box 102

then there is the:Central Locking System 146 146-1 146-2 146-3 146-4
and lots of other wiring diagrams and component locations here: Supplement 14

·
Registered
1988 260E
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think with these wiring diagrams, I can trace the fault from the fuse block. After studying the diagrams, my guess is it will either be one of the wires that goes through the left/right front door jamb associated with the electronic portion of the locking system or one of the wires that powers the exit lamps on each door. It seems logical since all of the other items serviced by this circuit are static runs while the wires to the doors could be subject to failure when the doors are opened and closed over time. Odds are on the drivers door as the one most used.

Will let you know. Thank You!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts