Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2009 SL550
407 Posts
Perhaps…
Glad to see all these components didn’t get caught up in the capacitor plague of the early 2000s. Numerous components and musical equipment I repaired were as simple as replacing caps. 20 cent parts and an hour labor restored 1000 dollar equipment (or 10,000 dollar equipment). The bigger problem is when they leaked and destroyed on-board semiconductors. End of game.
I fixed lots of computer power supplies and was glad to grab musical gear folks thought were totaled, because symptoms were no power or blown speakers and stuff and the only problem was a popped cap. Being the fair guy I am, my buddies got their gear back, fixed for free.
So easy.

My curiosity is the plastics and rubber in cars as they age. Nothing to do when they fail but replacement, and these plastics are everywhere. Thoughts go to a guy that recreated an intake manifold for a 944 Porsche (plastic) on his additive printer because the part wasn’t available. He fixed his car and shared the file with others. Think he won some kinda award for the work too. Nice.
I’m in the waitlist for the new Ford maverick to replace my Honda ridgeline as an occasional truck that makes Costco and ikea runs. Half the engine of the new Ford is plastic, and that’s just the start. As these age, they breakdown, crack, etc. a few things under the hood of my 230s have turned into marzipan, so this is an issue.I think the plastic should breakdown, thinking about disposal and what happens 50 years from now, but if you have a 20+ year old car, still running its something to consider and perhaps prepare for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
23,120 Posts
I've had my fair share of rotting plastics on MBZ cars. This is mostly due to the requirements in both the USA and other countries that auto manufacturers avoid the use of certain types of plastics that are more difficult to recycle. SO the ones they use don't react well to the environment.

·
Registered
'03 SL500's Tanzanite Blue, Aegean Blue, Mars Red, Alabaster White '11 S550 Flint Gray
129 Posts
German and now EU chemical regulations are usually more restrictive than the US. This makes it more difficult on EU suppliers and longevity seems to suffer. The 'bad' stuff is in there for a reason and working around it requires compromise.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts