Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO 2 days ago i picked up a 2001 CL600 been great driving it for the past 2 days, sportier then my 05 E500 .... but thats a rock solid car also

So today my car has A RED MESSAGE on the dash ABS WARNING, Drive carefully
so I parked the car, and noticed an oil based substance leaking on the drivers side in front of the front wheel..... Im going to assume possible a busted hose... though the car is actually literally sitting on the tires at the rear wheel well, checking their sizes 245/35ZR19s, seem a bit big to have the car actually sitting on them, the E500 has 30s in the rear, a bit shorter. ill ask anyway what to look for to determine the failure? any hints / tips ? Thanks in Advance
Id like to get her back on the road as soon as possible and it seems driving it in there circumstances is negated by body weight directly on the rear wheels now... HELP...!

·
Registered
455 Posts
First it wasn't ABS it was ABC

Now you probably have a busted ABC line, do not drive the car, you will damage the pump. Get it flat bedded to a truly good MB mechanic Dealer or Indy.

If you want to know about the ABC problems read the sticky at top of this forum.

Hoses aren't too expensive but the pump is about 1500$, and usually if it gets damaged it contaminates the whole system with metal particles, anyways just read the sticky...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First it wasn't ABS it was ABC

Now you probably have a busted ABC line, do not drive the car, you will damage the pump. Get it flat bedded to a truly good MB mechanic Dealer or Indy.

If you want to know about the ABC problems read the sticky at top of this forum.

Hoses aren't too expensive but the pump is about 1500$, and usually if it gets damaged it contaminates the whole system with metal particles, anyways just read the sticky...
Oh, well kinda what i figured taking your advice, sent the car off to the local mb dealer on a flatbead.... getting it on the flatbed was alot of fun.... poor guys.... off to design better high pressure hoses that will last longer.... and be proper...

·
Registered
362 Posts
Oh, well kinda what i figured taking your advice, sent the car off to the local mb dealer on a flatbead.... getting it on the flatbed was alot of fun.... poor guys.... off to design better high pressure hoses that will last longer.... and be proper...
let us know how you make out with the "improved" hoses- I'm sure a lot of W215 owners would be interested!

·
Registered
394 Posts
let us know how you make out with the "improved" hoses- I'm sure a lot of W215 owners would be interested!
I replaced my 'sweating' hoses with non MB ones, I got them copied by a hydraulics firm to take twice the recommended pressure and high temperature. One original hose was going to cost me $1000 (NZ) $800 (US).
So now I have much better hoses for 20% of the MB retail cost.
Be aware that one hose has a 'restrictor' in it and may have to use the original. Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I replaced my 'sweating' hoses with non MB ones, I got them copied by a hydraulics firm to take twice the recommended pressure and high temperature. One original hose was going to cost me $1000 (NZ) $800 (US).
So now I have much better hoses for 20% of the MB retail cost.
Be aware that one hose has a 'restrictor' in it and may have to use the original. Good luck.
Thanks for that information, Ill be diligent in finding a properly engineered solution to the hoses... I would also like to note, im doing a comparison on the Airmatic system in my 05 E500, and have looked at the Arnott info on replacement rebuilt shock assemblies. reliable hoses is a first stop, the pump / ps combination is another adverse issue. So im also looking at pressurized high volume electric pumps for the power steering, which would also alleviate contamination if/when that unit fails.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Blown pressure Hose, dealer says 900.00 USD to fix.. fine fix it....!!! then check all other components......... LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts