Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
w245 2006
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello. I've had cv axle(right long one) problem twice and I replaced them with the most expensive known brands (gkn, skf). two days ago I heard cracking noise while turning right and went to a mechanic and he said there is a play in right cv axle and needs to be replaced. every year I need to replace this shaft like air filter. I only drive it 10.000 km per year and still I have axle problem. do you have any idea what might cause this type of problem? are there anything causing axle to break?

·
Benzworld Staff
Night Crew......2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
10,950 Posts
Do you have photos of these defective shafts ?..and can you add them here ? Have you even seen a torn rubber boot at either end of any of your defective shafts ?

·
Registered
w245 2006
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you have photos of these defective shafts ?..and can you add them here ? Have you even seen a torn rubber boot at either end of any of your defective shafts ?
no torn rubber, I check rubbers frequently. no damage can be seen from outside. but when I hold the wheel and turn the axle it has a play.

·
Benzworld Staff
10,950 Posts
Could these "new" shafts have actually been rebuilt ? ...because I'm still running with my OE shafts..and never a problem...but only 131,000 kms..

·
Registered
w245 2006
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could these "new" shafts have actually been rebuilt ? ...because I'm still running with my OE shafts..and never a problem...but only 131,000 kms..
No, I don't think so. they were brand new, I personally ordered them and checked the condition. I have a slight wobble at 20-30 km/h always even after replacing the shaft. I'm wondering if something related to transmission could cause shaft to go bad?

·
Benzworld Staff
10,950 Posts
If the extra play is at the universal joint near the wheel, I can't see the tranny being the cause. Maybe the true mechanics here could add something.

·
Registered
w245 2006
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the extra play is at the universal joint near the wheel, I can't see the tranny being the cause. Maybe the true mechanics here could add something.
yes it is near the wheel joint everytime.

·
Benzworld Staff
10,950 Posts
Do you feel that the wheel balancing is perfect ? Could wheel shaking cause a u/v joint to age prematurely..? ..because I don't know..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts