Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the rear, I use a Receiver Shackle Bracket that fits into trailer hitch.
http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/shackle.shtml
It works great!

In the front, I have a Warn 9000 Winch on a Europa Bumper.
http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/XD9000.shtml
This works great when I am trying to winch myself out.
What should I use when someone is pulling me out?

On the older 460's they have the recovery point built directly into the front bumper.
Under the skid plate of my 463, there's a factory ring. Is this strong enough to be used as a serious recovery point?
Should I add an additional Tow Hook to the frame or bumper?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/s-10101/p-368/c-10101

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
The factory ring is sufficient as Harald correctly states.
But how often when you are stuck do you find the point you want to hitch to is under the mud, attach a short strop to the recovery ring with an appropriate shackle before you go off road and tie the other end to an accessible point near the winch, a bungy usuualy suffices, saves a lot of digging and lying in mud.

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,980 Posts
Tow Straps and Shackles

4x4rancher - 2/28/2005 4:16 AM

But how often when you are stuck do you find the point you want to hitch to is under the mud, attach a short strop to the recovery ring with an appropriate shackle before you go off road and tie the other end to an accessible point near the winch, a bungy usuualy suffices, saves a lot of digging and lying in mud.
I'd leave off the shackle and loop the strap through itself. If something gave way with the shackle under stress, you'd have a pretty dangerous missle!

·
Registered
G320 & E500
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4x4rancher - 2/28/2005 4:16 AM

Thanks for the info. The only time I have ever needed to use a front recovery point is when I stalled my engine. The Range Rover guys were afraid that the factory ring was not strong enough. I guess they have broken alot of Range Rover factory rings...

Thanks Again,
Chuck

·
Registered
G500, Unimog 2450, Pinzgauer 712M
616 Posts
I have used that front loop a number of times for recovery. The last time was a really hard winching out of deep mud going uphill. Probably as hard a test as you could do. The loop held fine. It did bend a bit though (it deformed directly forwards about 1/2". Where it is welded to the frame showed no distortion. I think you could trust it for anything.

·
Registered
1989 300GD SWB
84 Posts
The frontloop is incredibly strong, I was stuck in the mud so deeply I couldn't even open the doors. It took a 3 car attempt all tied togehter ( 2 Range Rovers and 1 Discovery) on that front loop to free me, in the process a 12 Tonne Towrope broke.... But the loop is fine!!! The LR guys couldn't believe that it didn't brake off, by the way this recovery was uphill, Oh how we laughed..................

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
i'm not sure where to post this but rust is something i'm tempted to mention here. It sounds like these are nice healthy tow hooks with out rust. A little inspection from time to time, especially on the older or rustier climates might be wise, because a little rust can go a long way to weaken something.

I've never even needed it, (for lack of nasty enough conditions) but just figured rust should be a consideration as peoples trucks age or have already aged.

·
Registered
230 G BGS 300G TDI
965 Posts
I think you are right to think this way too many people do not recognise "oxydisation" for what it is, metal fatigue.
However of all the vehicles I have recovered or been recovered in, the MB range of every thing has allways had the most sensible and durable recovery points.
Second only to the Scammel Explorer

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts