Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's about time to change my wife's rotor's/front brakes. Can anyone recommend brake combination that works well for them? She seems to get a lot of brake dust with the OEM stuff. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought and use DBA (Dics Brakes of Australia) drilled / slotted front brake dics and Textar brake pads, they seems good combination up to now

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
sorry for having to be the B i t c h on this one but " S E A R C H " is there for a reason, this topic comes up at least twice a month and its been beat on many many times

It's no big deal, the main reason we're here is to help the other guys... :surrender:

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had the stock rotors turned (machined) as they were still in great shape and went with the Akebono Euro pads. Almost NO brake dust and great stopping ability.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the stock rotors turned (machined) as they were still in great shape and went with the Akebono Euro pads. Almost NO brake dust and great stopping ability.
I changed the brakes this weekend and didn't notice any extra stopping ability. In fact, I noticed a lack of stopping ability at first. Is there a break in period? Also, I unscrewed the brake fluid cap to hlep in squezing the cam on the calipers and a bit of fluid ran out the top of the resevoir. Probably from doing too fast or because there is a lot more break pad available.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I changed the brakes this weekend and didn't notice any extra stopping ability. In fact, I noticed a lack of stopping ability at first. Is there a break in period? Also, I unscrewed the brake fluid cap to hlep in squezing the cam on the calipers and a bit of fluid ran out the top of the resevoir. Probably from doing too fast or because there is a lot more break pad available.
before you install the pads you have to sand it out first, did you try doing that?

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
In fact, I noticed a lack of stopping ability at first. Is there a break in period?
Depending on how much your rotors were worn. If the rotors had any ridge, it may take up to 1,000 miles to settle in properly.

Also, I unscrewed the brake fluid cap to hlep in squezing the cam on the calipers and a bit of fluid ran out the top of the resevoir. Probably from doing too fast or because there is a lot more break pad available.
Better clean up where the brake fluid overflowed. Brake fluid eats paint. Always remove cap and tie a rag or towel paper around filler neck before pushing back brake pads.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Depending on how much your rotors were worn. If the rotors had any ridge, it may take up to 1,000 miles to settle in properly.

Better clean up where the brake fluid overflowed. Brake fluid eats paint. Always remove cap and tie a rag or towel paper around filler neck before pushing back brake pads.
I put on brand new rotor's (zimmerman drilled), so no old rotor's. I'll have to remember the rag around the neck next time I do it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
before you install the pads you have to sand it out first, did you try doing that?
I didn't sand them down...wasn't known that I had to. They seemed pretty rough to me already (Akebono Euro pads/ceramic). My wife says they seem to be fine now but, I really though we would get better breaking power with different equipment.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Would have helped if you had sanded the new disks as well, just a light swirl with a fine grit paper. But since they are in already, it should not take long. Once the pads have done about 100+ miles , take the car out to a quiet road and progressively brake from higher speeds and with more pressure to bed them in.

·
2,594 Posts
as above, it takes a while for them to seat themselves in... go fairly easy on them first few hundred kms then find a nice streach of road (make sure its OK and no one about) and do some heavy braking a few times...

·
Registered
346 Posts
StopTech has published some good information on proper pad and rotor bed-in procedures. I followed their instructions when I added Brembos...seemed to work well and as described. Here's a link:
StopTech : Balanced Brake Upgrades

1 - 20 of 27 Posts