Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow
45 Posts
My car came from New England with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's and they were fine but grip (particularly for the rear) improved when I switched to the Pilot Sport 3's. I live in TX so I'm not worried about snow or even rain (just don't drive those days).

·
Registered
2013 SL 550
32 Posts
Funny this came up today , I am about to have these tires installed on my 2013 SL550 . I’ve heard nothing but good responses regarding these tires. $1232.26 ,mounted,balanced ,installed with tax. I’m happy with the cost. I may respond here after they are installed.

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow
45 Posts
Dreammashine- are you referring to the Michelin Pilot Sport 3s? They seem to be discontinued and the newer Pilot Sport 4s isn't available in size my '09 with the 19" wheels uses according to Tire Rack so I ended up going with Continental ExtremeContact DW XL

·
Registered
2006 SL600
10 Posts
I moved into the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S last year after running the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 for years. The 4S’s are incredible in corners and off the line.

I don’t drive my R230 in the snow, but imagine these tires are not what you (or your insurance company) want on a high-torque rear wheel drive vehicle when the snow and ice are on the road.

·
Registered
2013 SL 550
32 Posts
I don’t drive my R230 in the snow, but imagine these tires are not what you (or your insurance company) want on a high-torque rear wheel drive vehicle when the snow and ice are on the road.
Maybe it’s just me, but, there is no way I am driving the SL550 in snow. She is stored during winter. I had a couple of nice days and any opportunity I have to get her out (without snow/salt) I do. Over in Europe I have seen them with chains ?. Shmee from YouTube drove his AMG GTR in the snow. I like him, but I think that’s not what these cars can handle. Jmpo.

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow
45 Posts
I moved into the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S last year after running the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3 for years. The 4S’s are incredible in corners and off the line.

Where did you purchase your 4S tires?

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG DEsigno Edition, 2009 ML350 4matic
18 Posts
It is not a matter of snow and ice. 4s should not be driven @ 40 Degrees or below. A/s 3+ is going to handle better, just as the 4S is better in summer.

I have A/S 3+ on my SL55 and they are excellent. Also had 2 sets on my Audi S4.......you really don't need any more on the street then this and they are excellent in the wet!

·
Registered
2008 SL550R
130 Posts
On my ‘08 I installed Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, here in the northeast my car is off the road December thru April so I don’t look for an all season tire. Rather I look for the best summer tire in the Rain and this is it. I am running 18” diameter on stock AMG wheels over the last two seasons, so about 12k miles great in all conditions and decent wear, I find the rears wear out at half the rate of the fronts. So I expect 20k from the rears.

·
Registered
2013 SL 550
32 Posts
As far as the rear tires...that depends on how much your stepping into the throttle....
I agree summer tires are very different in design /composition.
If you plan on getting the SL out on the road , on a sunny day, no snow/salt...dry pavement, all season would be the way to go . However, “storing it over winter” and driving the SL only during summer , I can see why summer tires would be appropriate. What bothered me is having the SL sit there.......any chance I have on a nice day- I get her out on the road....hence the AS/+ all season tires from Michelin . Talk to jay Leno about having cars sit....they were meant to be driven. Everyone has their own view point. And I respect that..
but things seam to go wrong after sitting for a long time....jmpo....?✌

·
Registered
2008 SL550R
130 Posts
Sorry dreamer I don’t have Leno on my speed dial, I do know his thoughts on letting cars sit as well and admire his ability to drive his collection. My SL currently lives a half mile down a dirt road in Maine for the winter, most of the time during hibernation the road can be very unfriendly to cars like this. When I was previously living in a paved condo area I was like you if it was clear I was rolling, that also was with an R129 with all season tires. I have found that either car with staggered sizes wears out the rears sooner than the fronts. All that said I don’t start the car unless I will completely heat up the exhaust system, so most of the time it’s plugged into a CTEK under cover, waiting.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts