Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2009 SL550, 2009 ML350
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

What do you recommend for tires these days. Doing a lot of reading and a lot of folks like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3, not that I plan on driving in the snow, but from what I gather they suck in the snow and ice and I do live in New England so anything can happen weather wise.

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
2009 SL550 Silver Arrow Launch Edition, 2013 Mercedes Benz C300 4Matic
986 Posts
Hi Guys,

What do you recommend for tires these days. Doing a lot of reading and a lot of folks like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3, not that I plan on driving in the snow, but from what I gather they suck in the snow and ice and I do live in New England so anything can happen weather wise.

Thanks
Ron
That is what I roll with on my car. I believe you mean Pilot Sport 3 A/S. Had them on my R129, and put a fresh set on my new R230. I love these tires. Especially where you live, you will appreciate the dry traction as well as added traction in the rain. They are infused with a vegetable oil which keeps the rubber subtle in cold weather.

Great in summer also. Ahhh, SUMMER!!!!!!

·
Registered
2009 SL550, 2009 ML350
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is what I roll with on my car. I believe you mean Pilot Sport Plus 3 A/S. Had them on my R129, and put a fresh set on my new R230. I love these tires. Especially where you live, you will appreciate the dry traction as well as added traction in the rain. They are infused with a vegetable oil which keeps the rubber subtle in cold weather.

Great in summer also. Ahhh, SUMMER!!!!!!

Yes Ahhh, SUMMER!!!!!

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
986 Posts
Brace yourself for this nor'easter. Keep her in the garage!

·
Registered
2004 SL500
103 Posts
I'm using Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ .. with directional tread, and they pulled quite hard to the right constantly. Many here have noted the same thing, and to correct required additional camber bolts from MB ($$$$$) to get the alignment correct.

So, just a word of caution to stay clear of these. Have no experience with the Pilot Sport AS3's

-Stephen

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'm using Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ .. with directional tread, and they pulled quite hard to the right constantly. Many here have noted the same thing, and to correct required additional camber bolts from MB ($$$$$) to get the alignment correct.

So, just a word of caution to stay clear of these. Have no experience with the Pilot Sport AS3's

-Stephen
I had similar problems with the A/S+ tires, in addition to low mileage. After switching to the PS3, greater control, better mileage, and smoother ride.

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
I have the A/S+ on mine and they pull Rt. all the time!!!! VERY SLIGHT but still there, The thing that sucks is they will last Me for 3-4 yrs (summer only) Not sure what I will replace them with. Maybe the PS-3

·
Registered
05 SL500
37 Posts
i have gone out of spec and put on 245/45/18 and 275/40/18 Michelins
i am less than 3/8" over spec BUT...i have noticed a DRAMATIC difference in the ride and smoothness. at 58.5 mph on the speedo, i am really traveling at 60mph,but i can live with that. i had asked around and no one thought that it would hinder the abc performance .have them 11months and so far all is well for me

·
Registered
2007 SL550
20 Posts
A word of caution. Do not stray outside the recommended tire size. I bought my SL 10 months ago and have had terrible wobbling problems until replacing the tires with the recommended size. Now it drives fine.

·
Registered
2004 SL500
103 Posts
A word of caution. Do not stray outside the recommended tire size. I bought my SL 10 months ago and have had terrible wobbling problems until replacing the tires with the recommended size. Now it drives fine.
Mind if you share what tires you did get ?

-Stephen

·
Registered
2007 SL550
20 Posts
Unfortunately I bought the car with 20 inch wheels, and I wanted rear tires to match the front, which were Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/35R20. The rear needed 275/30R20s but Michelin is either back ordered or has discontinued that size. So my tire guy found Conti Sport Contact 2s (discontinued, but he got two) that are pretty close to the same tread design. That worked.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Unfortunately I bought the car with 20 inch wheels, and I wanted rear tires to match the front, which were Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/35R20. The rear needed 275/30R20s but Michelin is either back ordered or has discontinued that size. So my tire guy found Conti Sport Contact 2s (discontinued, but he got two) that are pretty close to the same tread design. That worked.
Risky IMHO

·
Registered
2007 SL550
20 Posts
What is "risky"? Getting tires the recommended size (by Mercedes) for the wheel? Or buying a car with 20 inch wheels? Should I pass up a good deal because wheels are 20s vs. 18s? Or am I missing your point?

·
Registered
986 Posts
What is "risky"? Getting tires the recommended size (by Mercedes) for the wheel? Or buying a car with 20 inch wheels? Should I pass up a good deal because wheels are 20s vs. 18s? Or am I missing your point?
You mentioned "Unfortunately the car came with 20" wheels". Combined with the oversized wheels, speedo not synched to actual speed you are traveling, and two different tread patterns, I think it is risky as I said. Your car will not respond in the same way if you had stock wheel sizes and same tread patterns. No, I do not think you should ignore getting a good deal on the car, and I'm sure the wheels look awesome, and I'm also sure the car is awesome, but there may be some side effects, which is all I'm saying. Good Luck & post pictures if you have some.

·
Registered
2007 SL550
20 Posts
OK, got it. Yes there were problems, the rear end whipping around like Sumo wrestlers pushing on each rear fender. But with the correct tires, now it drives just fine. Anything else I'll live with it. And the wheels do look good, lot of comments.

If I were keeping the car for a long time I would look on this site until I found decent stock wheels, but the 24 month warranty I bought with the car is half over, and I plan to get a newer SL before it runs out.

·
Registered
986 Posts
OK, got it. Yes there were problems, the rear end whipping around like Sumo wrestlers pushing on each rear fender. But with the correct tires, now it drives just fine. Anything else I'll live with it. And the wheels do look good, lot of comments.

If I were keeping the car for a long time I would look on this site until I found decent stock wheels, but the 24 month warranty I bought with the car is half over, and I plan to get a newer SL before it runs out.
Sounds great! Good Luck with your search. 2009 is a good year!

·
Registered
2019 S63 Cab; 2014 GL550; 2015 GX460
60 Posts
I have Continental Extreme Contact A/S on my 2009 SL550. Great tires. Very smooth, excellent dry and rain traction.

·
Registered
2007 SL550 AMG 20inch
10 Posts
2007 SL550 , , I run 285/30/20 's on the rear , and the nice police officer said I was doing exactly what my speedo said . (assuming his gun was right ) .LOL.They also look fantastic . This car is not meant to cushion the derrierre .

·
Registered
SL550 Designo Crystal & Red Interior R231 - SL55 Silver & Black Interior R230 - E550 - W212
189 Posts
I have 20's on mine and I put a new set of Hankook Ventus V12 when I bought the car. I've had them on every car I've owned (S550, Maserati and the SL amongst others) in the last 56-8 years and I'm extremely happy with them. They run quietly, I have no problem with grip in all weather conditions and you save a boat load over the Conti's, Michelin, etc. I've heard people talk these tires down but I rarely see anyone complain who actually uses them.

·
Registered
2007 SL550 AMG 20inch
10 Posts
SL tires

Thks for the Hankook V12 recommendation .Looked up info on them ,and will go that route . The sad part is, its almost time to put the toy away for winter !

1 - 20 of 33 Posts