Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1991 300SE 250,000KM Award Recipient
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The time has come to chuck the original in dash cassette player and upgrade to an indash CD player. I want to make it simple and go with the in dash unit instead of wiring in a trunk multidisc. Anyone care to share what they have done?

·
Registered
2000 e320 4matic
3,401 Posts
i just put in a sony cdxr3000 headunit. inexpensive (~$125) and very subdued. looks good in the car. I also replaced the speakers which is a necessity. good luck.

·
Mercedes
9,049 Posts
I like Pioneer. Good product, yet doesn't have that crazy modern look to it.

·
Registered
'98 C43 Kombi daily. '94 C280 factory manual track/drift slag.
1,030 Posts
Indeed. Pioneer do a lovely retro style two-knob jobbie. A mate has one in his early 230ce and it looks just the part. It plays mp3 and is powerful too!

Model number: DEHP77MP

·
Registered
300 SEL (1989)
369 Posts
If you want QUALITY I would recommend Nakamichi CD 400

I had a Sony headset with rear 10 CD changer, replaced it with a Nakamichi CD 400. The quality of radio & CD reproduction was like Night & Day. Go Nakamichi man you will be surprised.

·
Premium Member
Audi A4
276 Posts
I have no expertise in CD players.

But when I read “Mercedes Enthusiast� magazine published in U.K., lots of European Mercedes-Benz owners installed Blaupunkt(BOSCH) or Alpine products.
[:)]

·
Registered
'98 C43 Kombi daily. '94 C280 factory manual track/drift slag.
1,030 Posts
Benz Devil - 2/1/2005 1:24 AM

I have no expertise in CD players.

But when I read “Mercedes Enthusiast� magazine published in U.K., lots of European Mercedes-Benz owners installed Blaupunkt(BOSCH) or Alpine products.
[:)]
Good mag! Mercs were supplied with Blaupunkt from new here - were they not in the US?

I run an Alpine in mine - nice quality, not too expensive, but it does look a little out of place in that 15 year old dashboard.

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,429 Posts
I have this unit (Sony) in my SEC. The chrome accents compliments all the chrome trim in the interior and I like the fact that there’s no buttons on the head unit. It took me months to find a head unit that would be perfect for my SEC. I settled on this one mainly because it looked good. The sound quality is great and there's quite a lot of features on it, too.

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I'm not such a big fan of sony's explod line.. I do however like their mobile ES series.. I personally run a CDX C90 and Love it. I've also had very good luck w/ the higher end alpines and clarions. If you really want it to sound tight forget head unit amplification and go seperate amps. The difference is night and day.

Igor, that Mac is Sweet do you run their amps as well? I was looking at some Mac monoblocks a while back.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1989 420SEL
49 Posts
Blaupunkt has a very insensitive tuner, and Alpine is pushed by mass retailers because they have a better margin on them, or the reps. are heavily spiffed by Alpine.

I has a Pioneer installed recently and very happy with it. Only downside was that it has a blue display, but sounds excellent with the built-in amp and factory speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I never buy Anything from mass retailers, wholesalers only[:)]
I've installed Alpine's in a few cars, my 560SL included all w/ very good results.
I used to like Pioneer back in the 80's, as of late I haven't been overly impressed w/ their head units.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1989 420SEL
49 Posts
Where one chooses to buy them is irrelevant. I would not have touched a Pioneer in the 80's and Alpine made a great product back then when it was marketed through specialty retailers at a higher price point. They had margins to support their quality....no longer so.

·
Registered
1982 300SD
692 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with the CD players that play thru your existing FM reciever via an rf modulator?
If they provide satisfactory sound, it would eliminate the need to replace those old cassette units.

·
Registered
1989 420SEL
49 Posts
An iPod with a Monster iCarPlay sounds surprisingly good through your FM. Incidentally Apple and Mercedes have partnered to where the new Mercedes models will have an integrated iPod solution with steering wheel controls and in-Dash display.

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,429 Posts
jhodg5ck - 2/2/2005 3:32 AM

I'm not such a big fan of sony's explod line..
Oh, neither am I. Some of their stuff is complete crap but after months of searching for a good-looking head unit, I settled on my current one.

·
Premium Member
Audi A4
276 Posts
I got in-dash CD receiver today.♪

Hello,

I got BLAUPUNKT MONTREAL CD34 today.
I got it for $79.99 for the head unit, and $156.68 out the door after the tax, installation, material, and hardwire from local electronic outlet store (I checked http://www.blaupunktusa.com and it was the certified store from the Bluapunkt).

I think the unit is not as fancy as Alpine or Pioneer, but pretty decent considering price $$$. For some reason, Blaupunkt receivers look good on German cars in my personal preference.

Anyhow, my unit features;
• CD-R / CD-RW Compatibility
• XBass
• 2 Ch Preout
• AUX Input
• 3 Band Preset EQ
• Detachable Faceplate
• Remote Included (RC-823)

Type Analog
RMS Power 14 W RMS x 4 Ch.
Peak Power 45 x 4
Preamp Output 2
Subwoofer OutputN
MP3 Compatible N
AUX Input Y
Remote Included RC-823
Equalizer 3 Band Preset

(sounds like sales person[:)]

I will update pictures as soon as I get it, and also update reviews about this product.

P.S. This thread is not endorsed or affiliated with any business for commercial purposes. Just I want to share information with other Mercedes-Benz owners.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
"Spiffs, Margins" Sali you hit it on the head. I have a small chain of high end car stereo shops,. Sounds like you've been there.

Just filled my wife's 300SE w/ Eclipse stuff, head unit, amps, speakers, changer, etc. Wouldn't have it in my car, but she loves it. Got it all spiffed from the rep.

Since we are Kenwood and Alpine dealers, and since Kenwood is sending us on a cruise, I may put there stuff in my SEC. Maybe the motorized DVD.

However, that Mac is pretty enticing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts