Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Mercedes Benz G55 AMG
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone

I am about to do the brakes for the 1st time on my 2005 G55 (W463) and I am wondering if there are any good recommendations on aftermarket Brake kits that would include Pads, Rotors, and Sensors or should I just go for OEMs when it comes to the G-Class?
Also, after the light comes on the dashboard for replacing the bads, how long to I have before is too late?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

·
Registered
2002 MB G400CDI-1992 MB 300E-24- 2005 Mini Cooper S
360 Posts
Hello, everyone

I am about to do the brakes for the 1st time on my 2005 G55 (W463) and I am wondering if there are any good recommendations on aftermarket Brake kits that would include Pads, Rotors, and Sensors or should I just go for OEMs when it comes to the G-Class?
Also, after the light comes on the dashboard for replacing the bads, how long to I have before is too late?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
For question no. 1, if you want better performance then you may try some better pads, with some sacrifices of course. If it is a matter of replacement cost, then I would go with ATE brakes, which are the oem brakes just rebranded, albeit a lot cheaper.
Personally, owning a g400cdi with ATE factory system, I once tried to replace the oem pads with harder Textar pads, I found the braking to be awful...the pads were too hard for daily driving, required extra pressure on the brake and worked only when warmed up. By the time I replaced front and rear discs/pads with ATE brakes it was as if I changed the whole system, the difference in performance was night and day and braking now requires minimal pressure on the pedal.

As regard your second question, it depends on how heavy your foot is.. If you make long highway journeys I suppose you can cover a lot of miles before replacing. If you are heavy footed or drive downhill roads where a lot of braking is required, the truck's weight will chew the pads a lot faster.

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, thank you Thanito. How about the sensor should it always be replaced every time new brakes are installed?

·
Registered
96 G300DT
2,008 Posts
If the sensor tip has been ground back, or the insulation is looking weak, then you need to replace. Otherwise no. They are quite durable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, Thank you AlanMcR,
Just order these from Pelican Parts and wanted to give an idea of how much they cost for anyone out looking to do their own brakes.
I am going to follow G-AMG's Photo DIY - Front Brake Pad Change W463 (G55) instructions and if I need to do the back I will take pics and post them here.

As always thank you everyone for your help.

Brake Pad Set (front),
Brand: ATE Ceramic
Part #: 004-420-52-20-M1104
$78.75​
1​
$78.75​
Brake Pad Set (Back),
Brand: ATE Ceramic Note:
Part #: 164-420-26-20-64-M1104
$133.25​
1​
$133.25​
Brake Pad Sensor,
Brand: BOWA
Part #: 164-540-10-17-M584
$4.06​
4​
$16.24​

·
Registered
360 Posts
Supposedly, if the sensor has not been triggered, i.e. Not been worn/ground, you may use it again, however if you haven't replaced it for a long time, odds are it might be damaged when you mess with it whilst changing the brakes. The cost of the sensor is minimal though, so I would order it prior changing the brakes for my peace of mind;I would hate having changed the brakes and then noticing a damaged sensor

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,979 Posts
Sadly, the best brake pads ever - Rotex Gold - are no longer available

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Supposedly, if the sensor has not been triggered, i.e. Not been worn/ground, you may use it again, however if you haven't replaced it for a long time, odds are it might be damaged when you mess with it whilst changing the brakes. The cost of the sensor is minimal though, so I would order it prior changing the brakes for my peace of mind;I would hate having changed the brakes and then noticing a damaged sensor

You are definitely correct for my peace of mind I replaced them and oddly enough found that she required two in the front and only one on the drive rear, the passenger side caliper did not have a sensor connector.:unsure:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I had such a hard time finding the Allen wrench size. The fronts are 9mm and no auto part store had them and had to go to 3 Home Depots to finally find a set. Then went to do the back brakes and found that it required a 7mm, WHY, why not make them the same size? Not only they were not the same size but the shock absorber is right in front of it and you can't use a socket Allen key ? you have to use an L-Style Allen wrench so I had to go back out to get one.
Now next time I am prepared... ????

·
Registered
360 Posts
I remember the last time I changed front/rear discs/pads.. It took me about 3 hours, one hazet ratchet broken, one plastic hammer broken, etc to remove the bolts keeping the caliper in place in front... You can never be fully prepared with this truck..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I remember the last time I changed front/rear discs/pads.. It took me about 3 hours, one hazet ratchet broken, one plastic hammer broken, etc to remove the bolts keeping the caliper in place in front... You can never be fully prepared with this truck..

Now that you say that, I should have used thread lock sealer :confused:
Also, let us not forget the bleeding of the system. The bleeding bolts are in such an uncomfortable place. I had to remove the front tires to get to them. God!

This weekend I am doing the gas filter, let's see how that goes...:rolleyes: ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts