Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I have a 2003 E320 Sport with the 17" 5-spoke rims. The Clear-coat finish is degrading and am looking into re-finishing them. My question is:

Has anyone re-finished the rims and what was the process? Are they painted, anodized, polished, and/or clear-coated?

Thanks.

·
Banned
99 Merc S420 (80k Mi) 07 Lexus LS460 (21k Miles)
4,583 Posts
Its cheaper just to purchase a used set of rims in good shape or just get a newer car. These rims are not painted and are VERY expensive to redo. If they were painted, then it would be a different story.

·
Registered
2000 Mercedes-Benz S500. Sold: 2000 C230K, Sold: 1997 Porsche 944S
1,271 Posts
Hey,

I have a 2003 E320 Sport with the 17" 5-spoke rims. The Clear-coat finish is degrading and am looking into re-finishing them. My question is:

Has anyone re-finished the rims and what was the process? Are they painted, anodized, polished, and/or clear-coated?

Thanks.

Do a search on this on the Forum.
Just last week I read somewhere on the forum, someone refinished their rims and boy it looked really good.

If your not up for that; try going to a REPUTABLE Body Shop, reputation is everything here and ask them for a Quotation.

Refinishing Rims is under the Body Shop domain.

Don't replace them. That's a waste of resources.
and certainly don't replace your entire car just to get new rims?
How crazy is that.
Run out of gas.....abandon the vehicle....purchase a newer vehicle with
a full tank......:confused:

Remove and Fix them.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Hey,

Thanks.
....and STOP using Degreaser on the Rims.
It removes the Clear Coating
It's Verbotten.:mad:

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Do a search on this on the Forum.
Just last week I read somewhere on the forum, someone refinished their rims and boy it looked really good.

If your not up for that; try going to a REPUTABLE Body Shop, reputation is everything here and ask them for a Quotation.

Refinishing Rims is under the Body Shop domain.

Don't replace them. That's a waste of resources.
and certainly don't replace your entire car just to get new rims?
How crazy is that.
Run out of gas.....abandon the vehicle....purchase a newer vehicle with
a full tank......:confused:

Remove and Fix them.
Body shops won't touch these rims. If they were painted, then yes, a body shop could easily do them. It's often cheaper to get a new (used) set of rims then repair them. It is true that acid wheel cleaner will kill them. Quit using that stuff! OR as I said, just get a newer vehicle. An 03 star marked Chrysler isn't worth putting money into.

·
Registered
11,243 Posts
Body shops won't touch these rims. If they were painted, then yes, a body shop could easily do them. It's often cheaper to get a new (used) set of rims then repair them. It is true that acid wheel cleaner will kill them. Quit using that stuff! OR as I said, just get a newer vehicle. An 03 star marked Chrysler isn't worth putting money into.
Shops refinish high quality aftermarket wheels all the time, but they won't touch OEM wheels? Right...

·
Banned
4,583 Posts
Shops refinish high quality aftermarket wheels all the time, but they won't touch OEM wheels? Right...
Body shops, no? They won't touch them. Wheel refinnishing compaines will redo these wheels, but it will often cost more then it is worth to do it. He would be better off getting another un-damaged set. Then again he might find some el cheapo wheel guy named Pedro to redo them for peanuts.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Clear coat

....and STOP using Degreaser on the Rims. It removes the Clear Coating It's Verbotten.:mad:
I have never used a degreaser on my rims, only a "safe for all wheels" wheel cleaner. But, thanks for the advice because I had never heard that a degreaser will hurt them. As a matter of fact, I also did not know that these are clear coated. Is this true of all modern MB wheels or just certain ones? While we are on the subject, how about the OEM 10-spoke wheels on my 2001 E320?

Last but not least, my dealer's detail people will re-do wheels. I have never had them do it for me, but they do offer the service and I think I would trust them to do what they can.

·
Registered
2006 B 200 .....& Audi A6..
8,198 Posts
I always consider that my wheels are as fragile as the body paint and act accordingly. Sometimes road grease is easily removed with a weak solvent, and re-waxed right away for best results.

I always like seeing a pic of the problem before commenting on the right solution.
Some things are very easy to fix.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I have never used a degreaser on my rims, only a "safe for all wheels" wheel cleaner.

CONFESSION;
I used to use powerful degreasers on my Honda Accord. Because it was strong and darn fast. Well, over time the sheer brilliance of the wheels starting dissipating, then eventually I had some defatting, that is "flaking"....like when you sun-burn yourself.
Researched it to find out; Degreasers are a no-no.
Quick? Yes. Harmful? Very much so.

Right on Musikmann; I use simple Car Wash Soap on the Rims but if I need some
serious help; i'll also use "safe for all wheels" spray cleaner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts