Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just recently got 1991 Mercedes Benz SL500 with 91k miles. I have couple issues that I want if you can help me out on;

1: Whats a good website to order OEM parts for these cars?

2: My seat belt light is ON even if both seat belts are inserted? (Coule be a bad seat belt buckle?)

3. I got the hardtop with car, the issue I have is when its on the car and I try to take it off electronically it doesn't come off. I have to use the tool in order to take off the top BUT when you put the hardtop back on the car, it electronically sucks it in and locks. Also the convertable works great.

4. I just drove the car tonight and the ASR light came on. What can I check to sove this issue?

5. Also one of the intake pipes has tear in it, cheap plastic I guess or old. I am not sure if that has any effect on my issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,603 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It will help if we know where you are, as this forum is international.

We are also proud to have the best moderators. :)
(No they are not all Americans.) Haha.

1. Just to get you going, Parts.com autohausaz.com that is if you are in USA, do a search.

2. Seat belt, could be the switch, connector, wiring, module.

3. Search the stickies.

4. Start with the fuses, jingle/replace, replace with copper if possible.

5. Intake pipe usually the left gets burned by the engine heat, it will effect the temperature sensor located in front by the grill.

Now don't start crapping on our cars, we are all aficionados. Haha.

No the air pipe has no effect to your issues.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
Hey, welcome to the forum!
I hope this info can help out a little.
I too have a 91 500SL, and i love it!

Another place to check for parts can be rockauto.com
I have used them mostly and have never had a problem. Lots of people suggest autohausaz.com but i have yet to order from there.

Concerning the ASR light, I had this problem too. When it lights up, does it cut u off a lot of power? and is it hard to press on the gas pedal?

BTW, post some pictures of your new baby!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for all your advices, as far as the ASR light concerned when I drove it with light on and it did NOT seem to cut off the power. I am not sure what that says.

·
Registered
'91 500SL, '92 300E, '65 Mustang
305 Posts
ahh... well,
i originally had the ASR light problem, but mine cut out power... it happened to be the throttle body, no idea why. Another member had the same symptoms, and that was his problem too. Maybe check to make sure?

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,603 Posts
Ha, is this your new welcome speech? There has been a run on it lately. :D

MBSL500, welcome.

Well...

I had to protect our cheap pipes. Lol.
What is going on?
If I don't respond some are thinking, maybe I am sick/dead or something. ;)
If I do throw a joke....
Maybe I'll shut up for a while. Hahaha.

Regards,
aam.

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,814 Posts
Resync your windows and see what happens with the hardtop.
Hand brake must be applied.

Do the windows go down when you try to unlock the hardtop?

·
Registered
2005 CLK500 black,2012 E350
391 Posts
when you sync the windows--hold each button in up position for 10 seconds--
versus he 2 seconds in the manual.

(if you do this with engine off and in quiet location--you can hear a click at about 8 seconds).

Solved my problem on a 96 when he soft top froze half way up when putting top up.

Had synced the windows previously for the 2 seconds in the manual.

Not sure i will help in your situation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys just wanted to share what has been resolved and what has not;

1: Hardtop - I finally checked the fluid level it was getting close to the low level, so I went to dealer got the fluid and filled her up. Now it unlatched perfectly.

2. Intake Hose - Went to the dealer bought a new piece which looks like a different design in a better way, intall was easy and works great.

3. Radio - It just started to work normally after I posted, BUT it was an issue only the left side speakers work. I am hoping its a fuse but it could be wiring. Any suggestions on what to check would be appreciated.

5. ASR light - Its still on but its NOT having any effect on the power of the car. I actaully read somebody replacing the battery in which cured his ASR due to better volt current.

6. SEAT BELT light - Its still on, I have not really checked anything on this yet, I am hoping its a fuse but it could be a seat buckle which are NOT cheap.

I am taking the car to my electric wizard tomorrow, hopefully he can resolve couple of the issues.

·
Registered
'84 300SD '91 300CE '95 SL500
616 Posts
With regards to your radio. Check the easiest first. Make sure the balance is on both sides. It could also be a bad channel on your amp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts