Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300E 3.2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m a newbie in reference to everything about BenzWorld. I’ve never posted a thread anywhere.That said, I bought a 93’ 300E 3.2. Research shows that it’s the W124 model chassis. It has 103,000 miles. It looks great beside a broken bumper cover and slight rust on the edge of the front fender.
I found a new replacement bumper cover online for $150 including shipping. I’m no mechanic though am capable of DIY repairs. Is this something I could do myself?
I bought the car a month ago and changed the oil. The coolant light turned on though the temp stayed normal and the reservoir was full. I noticed oil leaking from the engine cap, replaced it and the light immediately shut off.
The driver’s side rear breaks started to squeal. I attempted to replace the pads, only the inside pad was worn. The outside pad was fine. The caliper was bad and I replaced it.
Now, when driving slow the transmission slightly kicks into 2nd. I let the car heat up for a bit, checked the fluid with the engine running and it’s looks to be overfilled quite a bit. I’m going to siphon out some of the fluid, hopefully it’ll help, if not I’ll change the fluid and filter.
I really like the car. It seems to have been maintained well. The coolant system may have been damaged when the front bumper cover was broken because it looks like most of the coolant system was replaced.
Other than the few problems mentioned the car drives like a dream. I’d like to get the car running and looking as good as possible. Any info about the bumper cover or anything else I should be aware of concerning ‘93 300E 3.2’s would be great.

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
6,887 Posts
Welcome to BW Mikeg5,
Good to have you as a new member.

Photos of your new-to-you w124 would be appreciated for the members to gawk at.

What specific info are you wanting, regarding the front bumper cover? There are 2 pieces (3 if you have the chrome trim) that make up the front piece. If it's damaged, replace with a good PnP piece or plastic weld, depending on the extent of the damage.
Main items to be aware of :
eco-era harness - main, lower, and the TBA all need to be addressed promptly, if not done so. Otherwise, glitch running issues that any present diagnosis you want to do to remedy, is near impossible.
Known tranny issues with reverse (band issues)
I'd do a complete fluid check and change. Always on any acquirement, unless clearly documented.
Check/replace old vacuum lines/ FF change / Cabin Air filters /
Others can chime in too.

·
Registered
1976 BMW 2002. 1991 250TD. 1995 E320. 2018 Honda Africa Twin
2,689 Posts
Welcome and congratulations on your new acquisition.
Please fill out your profile.
Please use the search function. There's a lot of information already out there.

·
Registered
1993 300E 3.2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to BW Mikeg5,
Good to have you as a new member.

Photos of your new-to-you w124 would be appreciated for the members to gawk at.

What specific info are you wanting, regarding the front bumper cover? There are 2 pieces (3 if you have the chrome trim) that make up the front piece. If it's damaged, replace with a good PnP piece or plastic weld, depending on the extent of the damage.
Main items to be aware of :
eco-era harness - main, lower, and the TBA all need to be addressed promptly, if not done so. Otherwise, glitch running issues that any present diagnosis you want to do to remedy, is near impossible.
Known tranny issues with reverse (band issues)
I'd do a complete fluid check and change. Always on any acquirement, unless clearly documented.
Check/replace old vacuum lines/ FF change / Cabin Air filters /
Others can chime in too.
I’m a newbie in reference to everything about BenzWorld. I’ve never posted a thread anywhere.That said, I bought a 93’ 300E 3.2. Research shows that it’s the W124 model chassis. It has 103,000 miles. It looks great beside a broken bumper cover and slight rust on the edge of the front fender.
I found a new replacement bumper cover online for $150 including shipping. I’m no mechanic though am capable of DIY repairs. Is this something I could do myself?
I bought the car a month ago and changed the oil. The coolant light turned on though the temp stayed normal and the reservoir was full. I noticed oil leaking from the engine cap, replaced it and the light immediately shut off.
The driver’s side rear breaks started to squeal. I attempted to replace the pads, only the inside pad was worn. The outside pad was fine. The caliper was bad and I replaced it.
Now, when driving slow the transmission slightly kicks into 2nd. I let the car heat up for a bit, checked the fluid with the engine running and it’s looks to be overfilled quite a bit. I’m going to siphon out some of the fluid, hopefully it’ll help, if not I’ll change the fluid and filter.
I really like the car. It seems to have been maintained well. The coolant system may have been damaged when the front bumper cover was broken because it looks like most of the coolant system was replaced.
Other than the few problems mentioned the car drives like a dream. I’d like to get the car running and looking as good as possible. Any info about the bumper cover or anything else I should be aware of concerning ‘93 300E 3.2’s would be great.
Thanks. All fluids were changed when I bought the car though the oil and most likely tranny filters weren’t. The wiring looks good, the harness was probably replaced. The bottom plastic on the passenger’s side bumper cover is broken. I’m ordering a replacement from car parts. My w124 300E does have chrome at the top of the bumper and an antenna-like gadget along the top of the middle black plastic molding around the bumper. I’m going to replace the bumper cover, just hoping that I don’t run into too many problems.

·
W163 and General M Gremlin
6,887 Posts
Thanks. All fluids were changed when I bought the car though the oil and most likely tranny filters weren’t. The wiring looks good, the harness was probably replaced. The bottom plastic on the passenger’s side bumper cover is broken. I’m ordering a replacement from car parts. My w124 300E does have chrome at the top of the bumper and an antenna-like gadget along the top of the middle black plastic molding around the bumper. I’m going to replace the bumper cover, just hoping that I don’t run into too many problems.
Pics?.... :)

Look for a Delphi tag to confirm it has been replaced. No guessing permitted.
That's just the main harness. There are 2 more to address, if not done.
Community Search....at the top of the page.

Bumper and bumper cover impact strip are pretty easy to address.
Keep us all posted with your progress.

Did I mention pics yet ?

·
Registered
1993 300E 3.2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Only pic I have at the moment. Been raining the past few days.
BCA3E574-4A19-420F-8A08-1A166994F2A1.jpeg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts