Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1987 BMW M6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone recently purchased a used S320?. Can you tell me what you paid and a little bit about the car and why you bought it? I am looking into purchasing a 1995 S320 and I need some encouragement to move on it.

Larry Rotondo

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Maybe this could help..

I recently bought a 96 S320V. Since this car is only used on weekends to drive, i prefered the Inline 6 over V8 or 12. Before i bought mine, i test drove several 420s and 500s. The bigger engines have their own benefits, but driving around in crowded chicago downtown, 6 or 8 feel the same. The tire size and engine design will be slightly different in the V8s. The longer and shorter 320 wheel base has only few inches different, and that does not change the cars overall massive look. Few of the problems i currently have is oil leak, and i have seen that in my friends S320 as well. The AC is also not working properly, sometimes it blows cold air, sometimes it dosent.

A 95 or 96 S320 in my area with approx. 70K + miles is between $20 - $27K range, depending on the condition and equipment. Try to get one with owner records.

Once you buy a car like this, ure basically going to spoil ureself. Its tight handling, suspension, swift braking and luxirious interior is not found in any other vehicle of its price range.

Greetingz,
///S320

· Registered
1987 BMW M6
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Maybe this could help..

I recently bought a 96 S320V. Since this car is only used on weekends to drive, i prefered the Inline 6 over V8 or 12. Before i bought mine, i test drove several 420s and 500s. The bigger engines have their own benefits, but driving around in crowded chicago downtown, 6 or 8 feel the same. The tire size and engine design will be slightly different in the V8s. The longer and shorter 320 wheel base has only few inches different, and that does not change the cars overall massive look. Few of the problems i currently have is oil leak, and i have seen that in my friends S320 as well. The AC is also not working properly, sometimes it blows cold air, sometimes it dosent.

A 95 or 96 S320 in my area with approx. 70K + miles is between $20 - $27K range, depending on the condition and equipment. Try to get one with owner records.

Once you buy a car like this, ure basically going to spoil ureself. Its tight handling, suspension, swift braking and luxirious interior is not found in any other vehicle of its price range.

Greetingz,
///S320
Thanks for your input. I am considering a one owner 95 S320 with 90,000 miles from a private seller who has all records. I think it should be worth less than $18. The wholesale is only $14.

· Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,570 Posts
95 S 320, 90,000 miles

There are a couple of issues abouth the S 320 to be aware of. Any service records should be looked at. If the automatic climate control is out of warranty, you could be looking at some major costs. Also, be sure to check the wiring harness, as some models had a biodegradable rubber that went to pieces before its time! These sedans are quite costly to maintain, hence the cheap price somewhere in the mid teens. Go for a lower mileage one if you can find one for the same money.

· Registered
3 Posts
I would not buy a S320- the car is a dog (in accerlation)- 4,600 lbs and 225 hp (straight ...

I would not buy a S320- the car is a dog (in accerlation)- 4,600 lbs and 225 hp (straight 6 ) is poor- for a little bit of more money get something that can get out of its own way- difference is gas mileage between the V8's and the straight 6 is nominal- (not and issue)

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Why not..?

I agree that it lacks somewhat "the push" of a V8, but it all depands upon ure needs. Older V8s are more expensive to maintain than 6. Also, if one lives in a crowded downtown area, where one would never reach 100MPH in days, 6 is not a bad idea. The V8s and I6s feel very much the same when ure driving around the city. The real power comes out on the highway.

· Registered
S320
7 Posts
Last October we got a 99 S320 after a long search.

It had about 60,000 miles on it and was in the mid
30s. We got it from a broker and got a warrentee for
3 years. The car was an expired lease, and was
pretty much perfect.

The '97 and earlier cars are dogs: the 5 speed
transmission totally transforms the car at low speed!
Power is lacking from 40 to 120 mph, but is OK. We
have 2 other V8 cars. Range is about 500 miles on
a full tank driving nice on the highway. More commonly, I get 18 mpg at 100 mph with 3 passengers
and a trunk packed full of luggage.

Our goal was to find a large sedan that handled well
and would hold 2 or 3 car seats. There are 2 choices:
the W140 and the 7-series BMW.

Has anyone recently purchased a used S320?. Can you tell me what you paid and a little bit about the car and why you bought it? I am looking into purchasing a 1995 S320 and I need some encouragement to move on it.

Larry Rotondo

· Registered
1997 S320W
2 Posts
Used '97-or-later S320s are superb!

We purchased a used '97 S320W (i.e., short wheelbase) about a year ago and the car is simply a dream. With the 5-speed automatic, the car has suprisingly sharp performance ... way, way better than you might expect. One of the factors for me was that I strongly preferred the short-wheelbase body style, and that was not available in a V8. The other factor was simply that the I6 should be easier and cheaper to maintain over time than a V8 would.

NB if you are going to buy a W140, the 97 and later models (the "second-generation W140s" are definitely the way to go. While the cars' interior materials are ever so slightly less plush, you get a car that is lowered _significantly_ (about an inch in front and 1.5" in the rear, which really helps handling and also looks great), has a really over-the-top Bose stereo system, has more attractive rocker panels, has a much more reliable evaporator setup, and in the case of the S320 has an altogether better transmission.

One small change that the 320s respond well to is installing a K&N freeflow air filter in the air box. The handling is also helped by going to the 18x8.5" wheels that are widely available from, e.g., AMG, though this does come at the expense of a firmer ride and just a tad more road noise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.