Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several of us W126 owners have Recaro Ideal C or Classic C seats with the star shaped adjustment knobs. Many of us have missing caps that cover the large nut in the center of each star knob. I was missing 5 of my eight total (there are 4 on each seat). I was lucky to source 4 originals from a repair shop. I installed 3 of the 4 and will see about getting some made from the last original. The caps were made by Pekalit # 56370-4. Pekalit seems to be out of business. Will try an injection mold company that does small lots. Interest out there??

I remember a recent post on this - and Talbir posted that these seats never had caps installed. I guess Talbir needs four for every Recaro he has....

Al

Attachments

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Looking for 2 of those Al, but if you are looking for bigger numbers I am sure I could find a need for 6.

Good plan to have them made up!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I can go ahead and install my 4th one...

Thanks, again, Henric for furthering the cause!

Al

·
Banned
472 Posts
Guys, has anyone seen recaro classic/ideal c seats for sale lately? They are part of my restoration dream, trying to transport myself back to South Beach,
1987 with Duran Duran playing in the backround:D
Thank you for your help
Der Bomber:thumbsup:

·
W123 Moderator
797 Posts
Caps for me too.

48hp,

I know I will need a complete set for my 123 for both seats.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
I've got four seats that need those covers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just picked up a pair of C's. I'd take four of these.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
I have 3 seats. Yep 3, long story, I probably need 6. Mike

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sent requests out to several injection mold companies all of whom state "no job too small". Little to any response.

Still trying....

Al

·
Registered
9,487 Posts
Al,
Talk to the guy that rebuilds AMG steering wheels in FL. he has those hard to get horn buttons made for him. Perhaps he might tell you who makes them.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
I'll take 4 too please!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Maybe its much easier to maschine them out of full plastic:)

Instead of the axial teeth you could maschine them radial as some kind of lips, of course much smaller than these on the example photo.

If you do it on a CNC lathe, its a work of minutes to produce more when needed.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Latest update - having the caps made the "right way" via plastic injection molding is prohibitively expensive - would cost (from several quotes I got) a minimum of $8k and run of 20,000 pieces. Creating the mold is the big cost. Not going to happen.

So, plan B is a new technology - 3D printing in plastic. I had a fellow Georgia Tech grad here in Atlanta create a 3D CAD drawing from an original I have and he sent the CAD file to a professor at Tech who has a home 3D printer. The prototype result is very close to the original, but had to lose the slight dome per the original (the prototype has a flat top). Small sacrifice that would be hard to notice. The prototype was done with white plastic (who cares). Measurements were spot on to the original, but additional prototypes are forthcoming.

Don't know where this process will end up. Will keep the Board updated.

Al

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I had an interview at this place last year. Precision Injection Molding - Chicago's HQC Inc. It was a very cool and very extensive shop, but unfortunately I just didn't have the experience they needed. They mostly make bottle prototypes for companies like pepsi, because they're trying to use less plastic, but they also make anything from engine parts to a giant mr. potatohead for disney which I saw. They have several 3d printing machines and they also do injection molding, CNC, and all sorts of things. If I recall, they pretty much specialize in short runs.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Alydon,
Brilliant, I had just seen my first 3D plastic printing last month and still would not have thought of that as an option.
Keep us posted as I think you are onto something.
Dave

1 - 20 of 114 Posts