Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question: How does a recall work? I bought a used merc and am wondering if it was ever taken in for recall work, how do I find out and does the recall work for 2nd buyers?

secondly is there a recall for the spring perch rust issue? which is what i am really worried about.

This seems to be a serious manufacturing defect and come Monday I have it as the first thing to have checked out.

TIA

·
Registered
668 Posts
The dealer...

can run a MVI, master vehicle inquiry, and tell you if there are any outstanding recalls, they call the "service campaigns" or some such, to be performed.

Your profile does not list your location, so we cannot definitively tell you if the spring perch recall applies to your vehicle, but there was a recall in Canada, none in the U.S. Dealers have been known to cover all, or a part of the cost of the spring perch repairs in the U.S. with MBUSA "goodwill" funds, but the treatment varies from dealer to dealer.

Good luck,

JR

·
Registered
632 Posts
Not to nitpick but it's actually VMI... Vehicle Master Inquiry. Either way I'm sure they'll know what you want.

If you go to mbusa.com and register and then call 1-800-FOR MERC and give them your VIN you will be in the database. If there are any unresolved campaigns for your vehicle you'll receive a letter but it takes a while.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can run a MVI, master vehicle inquiry, and tell you if there are any outstanding recalls, they call the "service campaigns" or some such, to be performed.

Your profile does not list your location, so we cannot definitively tell you if the spring perch recall applies to your vehicle, but there was a recall in Canada, none in the U.S. Dealers have been known to cover all, or a part of the cost of the spring perch repairs in the U.S. with MBUSA "goodwill" funds, but the treatment varies from dealer to dealer.

Good luck,

JR
Thanks all, I am in the Richmond, Virgina area.

·
W203, W210 Moderator
6,905 Posts
Call your local MB Dealer give them your VIN and your SA will tell you if you have a recall.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yes, The spring pearch issue is quite disturbing.....

I have a 1998 e-320 I bought at a repo auction for $5,500 in Dec. 2006. It had 95,000 on purchase. Now has 103k. I had to put an additional $6,000 into it for numerous things (motor mounts, blower motor, broken passenger side mirror, motor mounts......) ouch! took the good deal right out of it.

Wish I had known about this site in the beginning, I would have saved some major dollars with the advice, as I could have handled most of the issues myself. Then looking back, I should have passed on the purchase, it wasn't worth all the time, trouble and $$$ I incurred. But I have the car and it is behaving till the next issue arises.

But I'm going to contact the MB dealer here in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan to see what the deal is with the pearches. It's amazing that it is still not a major recall issue. There was a recall on the harmonic balancer/puller on my 98 e-320. They fixed that at no charge.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I agree.

This Spring perch issue can be dangerous should it break off/ fall apart while at higway speeds.
It is sad to say that it is almost like everything else before a recall is issued - not enough accidents causing any injuries/fatalities. All it will take is a few of these and watch them move fast for a recall as it will cost them ( MB )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts